looking for a home for sick axie

max8454

Reaction score
Country
Australia
HI all,

I posted my first post almost 2 weeks ago, I have an axolotl that just wont eat, its been about 3.5 weeks now since we got him (and his mate that died quite early).

He has never eaten. while i am trying to cycle the tank which seems to be taking for ever, I have been switching him daily between buckets of water, each time dechlorinated first, the the water dropped to about 20c with a frozen bottle of water first, (so i guess he goes from about 20 - 22).

I have tried frozen blood worms and chinchilid (something the wrappers all torn) and pellets.

nothing works

he is black in colour, but on his body behind his gills there are white patches (maybe this is an infection), ,, but it is more on his abdomen.

he is still moving around, if someone in sydney (I live in newtown) reckons they can get him into shape and would look after him while i get the tank cycled (this can take weeks i know,, or should i say now know). i would appreciate it.

*my first post got many replies thankyou with some supporting the idea of my getting him out of the tank and some not, the amonia is between 1 - 2 has has stayed that way for about 2 weeks, thats why i got him out of there, as well as the gravel and problems cooling the 60L tank
ta
max

hi max,
it would be less stressfull for him if you popped him in the fridge, this would also slow down his metabolism therefore him not eating would not be such a problem.
live food might be better and might just stimulate him to eat. have you tried earth worms.

Max - try and get earthworms from Bunnings if you don't have a garden. Also try slaters/woodlice; garden snails (break the shell) and garden slugs (as long as you don't use pesticides in the garden.

Frozen bloodworm cube doesn't always work for some axies (our adults never really took to it when I tried them on it - they prefer the live earthworms).

Other thing to try is cut thin strips (cut wormlike threads) of raw red meat (ie heart, liver, snitzel, steak - not mince). Make sure to cut all tendons and fatty bits of it.

Meat should usually only be fed occasionally but in this instance it might tempt him to eat and get his appetite back up if you can't get the earthworms.

Keep us posted!

rejoice

Hi Kapo

basically I was resigned to the fact that he would die.

but,,,,,,

I followed your advice, got the overpriced worms from bunnings, put a 3 in his bucket, and walked away,

after 3 hrs i stuck my head in for a look, 2 are multch, and i saw him trying to eat the third, he got it in but seemed to spit it out, either way I'm sure hes eaten something,, so i would really like to thank you, I'll give him another cple before bed tonight.

we are not out of the tunnel yet, but at least i can see some light

many thanks
Max
ps.l'll post some pics tomorrow

Sounds good, but if he appears to have problems eating or swallowing them then chop/cut them in bits (1/4s or 1/2s) they'll still wriggle enough to entice him.

Hi Max,

Thats great news, The key to getting axie habitats established is time it takes time for a tank to cycle and some axies take time to settle and establish routines, others do so relatively quickly.

Hang in there keep following the advice and things should come right.

Good Luck

pebbles for aquarium

Hi all,
now that my axolotl has shown some interest in eating,, and now the tank ammonia is going down i am going to remove the small gravel in the tank and put in some river pebbles, can i put these straight in or should i wash them in hot water or something similar, i want to get this done before putting the axolotl back in the tank

Hi Max,

Its a good idea to boil anything you intend putting in your tank (with the exception of sand). Make sure your new pebbles are bigger than your axies head so there is no chance of it eating any.

Good Luck

axie that would not eat now does video

Hi all
finally the axolotl started to eat and is now eating out of my hand, its the worms, he loves them

here is an early attempt at getting him to eat, one others he managed to keep it down

thanks again to all that helped me, you might note the new rocks, , the amonia is down to 0 - .25. I took him out of the bucket about a week ago, i might add i think he may have eaten one of the feeder fish i put in to help cycle the tank,, his gills have shrunken recently, average water is temp is 25,
(still working on that problem )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUNGxIG_keM

max

Hey great news about how your axie is now eating max :) Your persistence is now starting to pay off I think. :)

Anyway, yea your temperature seems like the main thing to focus on now. What are you currently using to cool the tank? I have found bottles of frozen water very effective in keeping my tank cool (19-20C). You just have to monitor the temperature so it doesn't fluctuate too much, and be ready to change the bottles when the temperature starts to rise a little. Other people here have suggested using polystyrene sheets to put around the tank walls to make it an esky of sorts. Anyway, you should be aiming for 20C or less.

I am really glad to see he's eating.... I was waiting to see if he went for your fingers!!
To be a bit of a kill joy however the stones should be removed as they could be potentially swallowed.My guys tank ( though some may be gals) is mainly bare glass with an island of sand, a cave and some plants.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back