wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Wes von Papineäu
LINCOLNSHIRE ECHO (Lincoln, UK) 07 January 08 Toad And Newt Under Threat
As Europe's noisiest amphibian, the natterjack toad is named after its rather ratchet-like croak and is incapable of hopping.
Although it can live for 12 to 15 years, the natterjack has many predators, so few survive to such an old age.
The natterjack is a distinctive short-legged toad with a yellow stripe down the length of its back.
It was first recognised as a distinct species - Bufo calamita - by Lincolnshire scientist Sir Joseph Banks in the late 18th century.
The toads can be found at Gibraltar Point Nature Reserve near Skegness and nearby Saltfleetby Nature Reserve as they prefer sandy soils.
Great crested newt
Great crested newts are nocturnal and can be seen by torchlight in springtime in the first two hours after dusk by the side of ponds where they breed.
It is possible for a great crested newt to reach the age of 27 and it can grow up to 17cm long.
The smooth newt is the most common species of newt in Britain and the palmate is the most rare although it has been sighted at Chambers Farm Wood near Wragby.
http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk...tentPK=19467073&folderPk=87030&pNodeId=156609

I read all your correspondence wes, cheers

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back