Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

japanese firebellie newts

DantezGirl

Reaction score
have two Japanese fire bellies and they are a month and three weeks old they both have there left gills completely missing getting ready for transforming

when there right gills go will they instinctively no that they should climb onto the plants or floating rock i have for them?

I'm going to divide the tank in half and make a land area soon but just in case

also they are tiny about 3cm it that normal?

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They will go to land once those gills are absorbed - without gills they will no longer be able to breathe under water.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, they instinctively know. In fact, they might even climb the glass (be sure you have a lid on!) Be sure you have plenty of land area available - despite their instinctive drive to climb, some will occasionally drown. Once you find them up on the island, you may want to move them to a different setup (soil or very shallow water choked with plants).

DantezGirl

Reaction score
thanks will lower the water level some more have lots of plants in there allready so i have that covered will sort the new digs out over the next two weeks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!