Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Last 3-4 days at least, floating "butt up"

AxolRose

Reaction score
One of my axolotls has been floating "butt up" for the last 4-5 days at least. It doesn't show any other visible signs of sickness, just some stress from not being to relax without having to get into the plastic plants in my tank to keep him/her from floating to the surface. I have heard moving it to a tank with minimal water and putting it in the fridge would help pass something that could be "stuck" in him/her, but I don't know what could be. My tank has sand substrate, and nothing he/she could swallow.

At first I thought it might just have to poo, but as it's been over 4 days, i am worried. Whats the possible causes and actions in a scenario like this?

Thanks

Scott

Last edited:

kapo

Reaction score
It may very well be a poo, if it's butt is floating up.

You can place it in another container - water lowered so it's back end doesn't float - this will alleviate any stress and may help things along.

You can place it in the fridge, water lowered as above, as the coolness of the fridge will slow its metabolism down and will help it excrete and regurgitate anything in its body over the next few days - week.

If you do place it in the fridge - keep it there for a few days and change the water completely daily.

AxolRose

Reaction score
I have put him in a small container in the fridge for tonight and tomorrow. Came home today and he was chilling at the top of the tank. Hopefully he has just got some poo to get rid of, and all will be well.

Thanks for the advice, I'll post the changes here.

AxolRose

Reaction score
Update..

From what I can tell his bottom still has the tendency to "float"... he look fine otherwise. I still have him in the fridge, and have been changing his water daily. Not sure if keeping him in the fridge longer would help any. Any advice appreciated.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Scott,

Has there been any poo in the water you have changed? if not then I suggest you leave him in the fridge for another couple of days.

Good Luck

AxolRose

Reaction score
Well he's coming out of the fridge today. No surprises for me (read: poo)... I have him in a fresh batch of water, (chilled to 10c about the same as the fridge.) I am going to let it slowly warm back up to room temp and put him in his own 10 gallon tank with about 3 inches of water for a bit.

He hasn't been eating, (ignores food) and getting quite skinny. I imagine the cold temperatures and his metabolism aren't helping any. All other signs look healthy though. No discoloration, no distended anythings etc. etc. No telling if he's gonna have the tenancy to float still...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1