Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Vinegar eels as starter food

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
They are pretty darn small but might be o.k. for the first couple weeks. What would you go to after you can't produce enough vinegar eels to supply the larvaes nutritional needs? I prefer newly hatched artemia to start out. Some use daphnia or chopped blackworms. If you try the vinegar eels please report back. The reason I like the artemia is they are so dependable and easy.

magnus_night

Reaction score
I normally use newly hatched brine shrimp, but this last time I ran into some problems with my supplier (the pet store ran out of brine shrimp eggs). Next time I'm buying them online.
So now I'm thinking ahead & looking for a good emergency food for next time. I was also just curious about vinegar eels as a larvae food. I think Ill just try it on a small number the next time I hatch out some axolotls.
I have tried chopped black worms on newly hatched blue spotted salamanders & it didn't seem to work well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!