Dragonfly Larvae

eldaldo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Patrick
I allowed some dragonfly larvae into my Triturus karelinii tank when I put in some plants last fall. I didn't see it as a big deal because the newts were eating them and they were small. Yesterday I was greeted by a huge one that was about an inch or so in length. Those things are scary looking! I cant find it now and I was wondering if it would bother my adult newts? I know that dragonfly larvae eat newt larvae, but do they eat adult newts?

Also, am I correct in thinking that the dragonfly larva will not be able to reproduce in any way? it will either turn into a dragonfly, or will die? only fully grown dragonflies can lay eggs right?

I wouldn't risk it, and try to get it out of the newt tank. No it can't reproduce as a larvae.

Pete is right. They cannot reproduce but you need to get it/them out of there. Dragonfly larvae can be incredibly ferocious predators. Even if your newts are bigger this may not stop the larvae from attacking them. It is not unlike having miniature Aliens (from the movies) in your tank.
Chip

Well, I tore apart my aquarium and could not find the dragonfly larva. can they burrow into gravel? maybe I was hallucinating. or maybe one of my newts defeated it?

dragonfly larvae

If you have a chance set up a few in a small bowl/aquarium on their own - a sponge or other small filter is helpful, but not entirely necessary....they stalk prey like a cat, and then shoot out the lower "lip" to snatch it up (you can hook this lip gently with a finger and extend it to observe - equipped with a small "cup" at its end). Feed them brine shrimp, blackworms and other aquatic inverts.

Leave a few sticks protruding from the water and the nymphs will crawl up and transform into adults when the time is right (1 season for most species, but some over-winter). Usually occurs at night....adults need flying insects and lots of room and so are best released.
best, Frank

I too came across one while cleaning out my tank ( and figure if I have one I'll have more!!). After the initial fascination I then realised I'd best remove it from my axolotl tank ...needless to say I haven't seen it since either. I am sure this came in on some pond weed that I had recently placed in the tank..along with some other insects like flat worm . I now suspect that the nymph may actually be useful in removing the other hitch hikers so whilst still on the look out I'll not be taking the tank apart yet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back