Question regarding Dunn's Salamander...

LuckyMom

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am happy to have found this site. I hope someone can offer me some help...last spring my kids and I went to a pond hoping to find a frog or two. What we found was a huge cluster of eggs in the pond which was quickly drying up due to the hot weather. We "saved" the cluster and brought them home. We set up an aquarium and waited. Soon we had many tadpoles and were looking forward to a brood of frogs we could return to the outside world. We soon found out that these were not frogs, but Dunn's salamanders. We have two left and just recently one of them has become bloated and struggles to move around. It doesn't use it's back legs much, either. I could supply a picture if that would help.

Bloated Dunn's Salamander

I have two Dunn's salamanders. We raise our own flightless fruit flies for their food source. I've noticed just a few days ago that one of them is quite bloated. It has trouble moving around and doesn't use it's back legs much. I think maybe because it's belly is so full (of what I don't know). Can they actually overeat? We've always provided the same amount of food and the other salamander isn't fat. Help!

I am referring to the Plethodon dunni.

These can't be Dunn's salamanders. Plethodon dunni is a terrestrial breeder and lay their eggs on land, not in ponds. You should probably try to figure out which species you are dealing with. Perhaps, Ambystoma macrodactylum.

The pictures you've posted in the gallery are Ambystoma macrodactylum.

Thanks for directing me to the correct name of these salamanders. They do have a striking resemblence to the Dunn's (at least I think so). I did soooo much research online to try to identify them. I just Googled ambystoma macrodactylum and am happy to have finally found out their correct identification.

Thank you for your help!

Now I need to learn all over again about this type...hopefully find the answers to my problem.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back