My exalotle is in the fridge and i don't know whats wrong>??

WaterLizards

Reaction score
Country
Australia
hi if anyone can help iv tryed changing the carbon in the filter and the nitrate was slightly abnormal because the carbon was old and was realeasing chemicals. I changed the water and tested the ph ( normal) but "estiebarn" started eating air and changed colour. ?? he was floating but still alive so he went into the fridge with his water. PLEASE suggest what i am too doooo next thank you :confused:

Sorry to hear your axolotl is not too well.
Firstly regarding the fridge ( appologies if you all ready know!!) , the water needs to be dechlorinated. The water temperature should be no lower than 5 degrees and back up bottles of dechlorinated water could be kept ready prepared in the fridge too ( means the temeprature of the new water will be more stable for the daily water changes.). You will need to do daily water changes whilst in the fridge. I personally would offer food, but if not eaten in a reasonable time (i.e an hour or so) remove it so it does not foul the water.
He does sound like he is having problems with the water quality. Are you able to test the tank water for ammonai, nitrate , nitrites ? If not take a sample to your local pet shop and they will usually check it for you.....resist all attempts that they mau make on persuading you to purchase 'cures' as these may cause further problems.
Generally the axolotl tank need to be kept ideally below 20 degrees ( higher starts to stress them ( much like me!!) , 20 % weekly water changes with dechlorinated water and general spot cleaning of left over food and droppings also need to be done. I also do weekly / fortnightly water tests to make sure all is as it should be.
Hope this is some help.

How high was nitrates? Nitrates is not usually a problem unless it's 80ppm/m/g + levels.

Nitrite levels on the other hand would be a problem and could account for gasping. When any ammonia/nitrite levels are over 0, you need to do more frequent but partial waterchanges (20-30%) every day or two days rather than weekly or fortnightly.

pH levels are usually fine if they're between 6.4-8.0. If they are outside these areas they can be adjusted using more natural methods than the pH up or down chemicals that are sold at the petstore. The more important ones to monitor are ammonia/nitrites and nitrates.

How large is your tank - measurements and how long have you had your axolotl?

Estie is still in fridge

thank you

i had the water checked and ammonia levels were fine, while he was in the fridge he spat up his food, and he is still alive :) but he has lost all his yellowish color and has a new black stripe down the center of his fin or TAil. His gills have red blood like blobs in them, and they have no color as well. the tank is 1ft wide, by 1 1/2 feet long and its 25cm deep with water. iv had estibarn for about 9 months, but not sure about his real age. He seams too be a baby still, he has been growing heaps lately.

i hope this helps so i can bring him back into the tank. ill get my water tested again at another store and double check it.

April

How high was nitrates? Nitrates is not usually a problem unless it's 80ppm/m/g + levels.

Nitrite levels on the other hand would be a problem and could account for gasping. When any ammonia/nitrite levels are over 0, you need to do more frequent but partial waterchanges (20-30%) every day or two days rather than weekly or fortnightly.

pH levels are usually fine if they're between 6.4-8.0. If they are outside these areas they can be adjusted using more natural methods than the pH up or down chemicals that are sold at the petstore. The more important ones to monitor are ammonia/nitrites and nitrates.

How large is your tank - measurements and how long have you had your axolotl?

hi ?? another question

hi thank you , everything is perfect with water temp's in and out of the fridge, and i change the water and clean his tank like as u said. No food is left in the tank etc. But i know not to change all water i only doo little changes at a time. But with dechlorinating the water ?? i didn't know about this, he is in the fridge and its not too cold, but he is in his normal tank water and i have been adding a little more cold tank water for air. I gess. Can u explain what i should re do or change while he is in the fridge, or are they too fragile too move or change again? dechlorinated.

thanks

Sorry to hear your axolotl is not too well.
Firstly regarding the fridge ( appologies if you all ready know!!) , the water needs to be dechlorinated. The water temperature should be no lower than 5 degrees and back up bottles of dechlorinated water could be kept ready prepared in the fridge too ( means the temeprature of the new water will be more stable for the daily water changes.). You will need to do daily water changes whilst in the fridge. I personally would offer food, but if not eaten in a reasonable time (i.e an hour or so) remove it so it does not foul the water.
He does sound like he is having problems with the water quality. Are you able to test the tank water for ammonai, nitrate , nitrites ? If not take a sample to your local pet shop and they will usually check it for you.....resist all attempts that they mau make on persuading you to purchase 'cures' as these may cause further problems.
Generally the axolotl tank need to be kept ideally below 20 degrees ( higher starts to stress them ( much like me!!) , 20 % weekly water changes with dechlorinated water and general spot cleaning of left over food and droppings also need to be done. I also do weekly / fortnightly water tests to make sure all is as it should be.
Hope this is some help.

That's normal for axies to regurgitate in the fridge. They do tend to go pale in the fridge as well.

When you do waterchanges on your axie tank do you use tapwater that is town supplied (ie treated tapwater) or does it come from a tank (ie rainwater or bore water)?

If you use town supplied treated tapwater then you need to add the water dechlorinator/ager/conditioner drops to remove any chlorine and chloramines from tapwater before the waterchange. This is what Bella means by dechlorinated water.

While in the fridge whichever water you do use for regular waterchanges - you need to keep a bottle or so in the fridge so that it's exactly the same fridge temperature as the axie fridge container. This water needs to be changed 100% completely daily. The easiest way is to keep 2 containers in the fridge and slide him from one container into the next, then just wash the other container and refill it for tomorrow's waterchange.

You need to change it completely as the container is small and toxins from excreted waste will build up fast.

The chilled water in the fridge has far more oxygen in it than warmer water.

That size tank is pretty small really - how long is your axolotl - even if he looks small. You'll find during summer that tank is likely to foul more and heat up a lot faster than a larger tank.

What has your axie tank temperature been at lately, as I realise in some areas of Australia there have been extreme heats?

estibarn my axie floating prob

he is just floating now, not bloated not going everywhere. He goes from the bottom 2 the top floating constant. his body looks fine but still a bit of color loss. ? for small periods of time i put him in a container in the top of his tank with water just high enough so he can stand and rest. i hope this is a good thing to do bec he is still hanging in and doesn't seem to fused about this.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back