The water in my new tank has already got grubby -

freekygeeky

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
there are bubbles on the surface - there seems to be a ''skin'' on the surface too - help¬?>

First off don't panic!!

You will need to check your axoltl tank water for ammonia, nitrate and nitrites. If you haven't got the test kits ( I wouldn't use the 5 in 1 strips ) get the pet shop to test a sample ..write the ammounts down and then let us know.
If I remember correctly you have 2 filters running, is that still the case? also do you remove unwanted food and spot clean..they can be messy little beasties. You'll need to do weekly 20 % water changes with dechlorinated water.
Finally ( for now) what size tank are they in and what is the tank temperature if its over 20 degrees it'll start to stress them.

2 pumps
hehe 2 foot for now -two 3 'snext week - hopefully!!!!
they are all small axys at teh moe - not like my mr lister!! hehe
noleft over food yet.. lol
cant see any poos yet either.
i got some filtered / cycled water frrom the guy -
and i was told to use that special (cant rmeber the name!!!0
that stuff you put in water to make it friendly for fish..
err.

hope you know what i mean :(

Gina

First off don't panic!!

You will need to check your axoltl tank water for ammonia, nitrate and nitrites. If you haven't got the test kits ( I wouldn't use the 5 in 1 strips ) get the pet shop to test a sample ..write the ammounts down and then let us know.
If I remember correctly you have 2 filters running, is that still the case? also do you remove unwanted food and spot clean..they can be messy little beasties. You'll need to do weekly 20 % water changes with dechlorinated water.
Finally ( for now) what size tank are they in and what is the tank temperature if its over 20 degrees it'll start to stress them.

??

While we're on it, does anyone know what the layer of whitish skin substance is that sometimes appears on new set ups, sometimes it's not visible untill you try to sieve it out when it wrinkles up like unstreched skin..???

We used to have a film in some of our tanks that formed over the top, probably similar to what you're both talking about. We used to use paper towels (unbleached) draped over the top to pick it up or skim it. Can't remember of the top of my head what caused it (something to do with the feeding process/residue); but were advised to add an airstone/bubbler to the tanks as the bubbles break the surface. After that haven't had any problems since.

Thank you very much! The pump I have in there now is about an inch under the surface but I could move to the top to aerate the water a bit more. Would that help do you think?
We used to have a film in some of our tanks that formed over the top, probably similar to what you're both talking about. We used to use paper towels (unbleached) draped over the top to pick it up or skim it. Can't remember of the top of my head what caused it (something to do with the feeding process/residue); but were advised to add an airstone/bubbler to the tanks as the bubbles break the surface. After that haven't had any problems since.

I got the film on the top of my tanks also. I don't know what causes it but I also get it on tanks I have turtles and frogs in. If you keep the water moving on the top a little that will go away. Bubbling air to move the water like kapo mentioned works. I ran a tube the length of my tanks with holes in it, placed it a few inches above the water and my filter pumps the water up thought these. The water drips out and hits the top of the water and I never get the skin anymore.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back