not eating axie

Atl

Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
My axies haven't eat for two weeks time and what's more, I see some kind of white dots have appeared in their bodies... these dots are like small pieces of skin, as if they were changing it, is it possible??

I'm RALLY worried about those things, because I had to change the "cleaning fish" because it started cleaning my axies back, and (despite fish's good intention) thiscould make them be stressed. Moreover, water temperature has risen nearly to 30ºC, seeing this I drop some ice cubes into the tank to reduce water temperature...

I don't know what to do...:confused:

Try frozen water bottles....I found they worked better than ice cubes because they dont add anything to the water that could have been in the ice cubes and they also last longer.... but keep checking the temp... Are the spots slimy looking or hard??? what have you tried to feed your axie???

Thanks!! the spots are slimy, similar to when you go to the beach and get overtaned (in scale), the same apparence... but by touching their heads I tried ti clean them, and the spots
stay there...

And I always feed my axies with meet, beef or chiken... Not fish, because it smells..

Sorry your axolotl is not well.
From what you have written the main problem is your tank is far too warm. You need to find somwhere cooler to place them...the fridge would be the best place for the time being. They will need to be placed in a lidded container with enough dechlorinated water to cover them, wrap a towel around the container so the fridge light doesn't startle them . Place a couple of bottle of dechlorinated water in the fridge with them to use for the daily water changes. I personally would offer food, but if its rejected remove it with in the hour. It is likely with the lower temperatures ( no lower than 30 degrees) they may not want to eat.
The white spots sound like fungus and this can be treated with daily salt water baths. This link explains how to do it.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/salt.shtml
If the tank can be moved to a cooler location that would help.. This link tells you of some cooling methods.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

Hope this helps!

Thanks all! I could not tell exactly if it strees becuase of heat from what I see in the photo, but I'll try both...
Thanks all again!!

Hi Atl,

I don't mean to be rude but I am suprised your axies are alive at all if your tank is 30 degrees. The white spots you describe are almost certainly fungus.

The hotter the water temperature the greater the chance of fungus.

Axolotls have a protective slime coat touching it or having cleaning fish? can damage this.

I would get your axies into the fridge as soon as possible and then look at some ways to get your tank temperature down.

Good Luck

thanks

I bathe them and I discovered that it was funfus what they had... and I also took the fish away...
I will wash the whole fishing tank with ssat in case it helps... And I know at that temperature they should be very stressed,:eek: but i supposed they could be right at 22ºC... I'll keep refreshig the tank, but I want to know if the plants could die if being washed with salt...

Hi Atl,

Do you have another area you could quarentine your plants? I would not use salt on them as this will almost certainly harm them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back