My first post!

birdvideo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Mike
Howdy, I’m Mike Sims. I’ve been reading this forum for a while and have decided to participate. I just updated my profile with more information. Before I set off a storm of comments on the evils of keeping endangered species in captivity I should explain the circumstances of the first species on my list. It was my first experience with keeping any salamander. When I was in the sixth grade I went to the regional science fair. Another participant in the fair did a project on troglodytic organisms that were washed up a local artesian well. She had two specimens of Typhlomolge rathbuni, Texas Blind Salamander. After the fair she gave me the smaller (~1.5”) specimen. I kept it alive for 8 months with constant water changes from the same well and floating frozen bottles of water to cool the tank. It would only eat white cave isopods that were washed up the well pipe. When the well was capped and I had no other source of food, I donated it to our local zoo. It was not displayed and promptly died. Years later our zoo did display this species- collected from another well. I’m still amazed I managed to keep such a delicate species alive for so long. If I had known what I now know I’d have never attempted it. Several species on my list are now protected. I do not condone keeping threatened organisms for any reason, but recognize that it was a very positive experience for me. I went on to keep a number of different amphibians and captive breed most of them. I had to give up all of my animals when I was busy being a starving graduate student. In my current work as a wildlife film-maker I’m interested in producing a developmental series of eggs and larvae of (probably) Ambystoma maculatum. Any thoughts or advice will be gratefully considered. I’ll post some results here if and when I get them. Thank-you to all for making this forum the wonderful resource it is.

Welcome, Mike! You've had some very interesting experiences. We are eager for any photo contributions you are willing to make.

Hi otterwoman and Jennewt, thanks for the welcome. Before I decided to crawl out from under my log I spent several weeks reading most of the forum and all of CC. I agree it’s all interesting! I feel I almost know some of you having lived through similar problems and come up with similar solutions. I designed some exotic aquarium systems as part of my former research and have ideas to share. I’m trying not to post too much too fast and then disappear into the woods (literally) for a couple of weeks leaving everyone to wonder “Who was that guy?”. I have a couple of technical issues with the video sequence I mentioned and will start a new topic. I have a couple of years to “get the shot”. The most pleasing thing I’ve learned about in my reading is the acceptance of cbb animals. As an undergrad in the late 70’s I bred and raised large numbers of Bombina spp. for pocket money. Most sales went to labs. There was much resistance from hobbyist “collectors” to captive-born animals when wild-caught ones were easily available and cheap.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back