Life in Cold Blood - New Herp Series

birdvideo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Mike
Here’s some info on a great new series on reptiles and amphibians- should have some world class salamander footage! Our mates across the pond get first crack at it. From a British PR blurb:

Sir David Attenborough brings viewers the final chapter of his epic overview of life on Earth as he transforms perceptions of cold-blooded animals in this landmark BBC One series Life In Cold Blood.
"Reptiles and amphibians are sometimes thought of as slow, dim-witted and primitive," says David. "In fact they can be lethally fast, spectacularly beautiful, surprisingly affectionate and extremely sophisticated."
David first brought viewers Life On Earth, then The Private Life Of Plants, followed by The Life Of Birds, The Life Of Mammals and Life In The Undergrowth. Now, using the very latest in filming technology from the BBC's world renowned Natural History Unit – including ultra-high-speed, thermal, miniature and on-board cameras – David reveals the surprising and intimate lives of the cold-blooded reptiles and amphibians, discovering the secret of their success. After all, they have ruled the Earth for nearly 200 million years and, today, there are well over 14,000 species.
From the largest and most dangerous reptiles on Earth demonstrating tender and sensual courtship, to tortoises and horned chameleons jousting dramatically, flashing anolis lizards and waving jacky dragons, the Life In Cold Blood team capture previously unseen behaviour bringing their unknown lives to the screen as never before. Tiny scarlet frogs engage in sumo wrestling, baby worm-like caecilians feast on their mother's skin, mother salamanders viciously defend their broods against marauders and spectacled caiman are filmed taking care of crèches of up to 100 young.
After each main programme, there is a 10-minute feature, Under The Skin, produced in collaboration with the Open University. It follows David as he examines the technology used by scientists that enable the team to bring this incredible animal behaviour to the small screen.
Miles Barton is the series producer and Sara Ford is the executive producer. Hilary Jeffkins, James Brickell and Adam White are the producers. Life In Cold Blood is a BBC and Animal Planet co-production for BBC One, and Under The Skin is a BBC production for the Open University.
Running order:
Programme 1– The Cold Blooded Truth
Programme 2– Invaders Of The Land
Programme 3– Dragons Of The Dry
Programme 4– Sophisticated Serpents
Programme 5– Armoured Giant

Now I just need a HD TV and a blu-ray player...

Do you know when this starts?

Yes, please let us know a date that we might be able to see this. I'm so excited.

This makes me so excited and many other emotions all at once, zeitgeist..
I think theres a general increase of interest in amphibians. And reptiles too.

Now I just need a HD TV and a blu-ray player...

Wouldn't that be nice?

Didn't Mark's wife work on this and something with his newt room being involved?

I got all giddy when I saw Aartse-Tuyn in the credits for Planet Earth which has excellent footage of Texas blind cave salamanders and Andrias.

What was Mark's wife official credit on the series? I don't own PE - I refuse to buy it until one HD standard dies a death (which seems to be HD-DVD thanks to Warner Bros, and that's a pity since HD-DVD is region free and if you're an international man of mystery like myself you like region-free movies). And then of course I will have to get a HD TV of some sort. Perhaps when I'm 40.

My avatar may give you a clue about what was filmed in my house. I saw previews of some of the caudata footage with Hilary over a year ago but I'm not going to give anything away.

The wife's credit on Planet Earth is "Production Co-ordinator". She's an Attenborough old timer - you'll find her on Life of Mammals credits too. I've just mentioned that people are discussing her on caudata.org and she said "newts rule!" - I fear she was being sarcastic :D.

Luckily enough, I did some work for a friend of a friend (not expecting to get paid) and he rewarded me with a year old 55" HDTV. If not for this situation, I think I would be watching my HDTV at 40 as well. Now I have to rent planet earth!

The information I’ve seen only says “coming soon to BBC One”. I’ve e-mailed some friends in the British wildlife film community to see if anyone has specifics. The “hype-cycle” for programs of this magnitude is usually weeks or months. It is likely our members in the United Kingdom will start seeing promotional materials soon. If anyone gets a specific date, I too would like to know. Many cable and satellite companies in the US have a BBC Channel that picks up some BBC One programming so some of us may get to see it soon. The rest of us will have to wait until Animal Planet or Discovery show it probably late this year. All the other series have been released on DVD. Not sure about Blue-ray. We probably won’t get the Open University segments. Pity. I, for one, would really like to see them.

I'm glad that people in the US are getting in on the whole BBC nature documentary culture finally. The professor for whom I work was singing the praises of Planet Earth about a year ago as if the BBC making ground-breaking nature documentaries was a new thing. I was raised on David Attenborough's various series, which I can remember quite well from the early 80s, all the way up to Blue Planet (which I do own but there wasn't the Blu-ray versus HD-DVD quandry when I bought that).

Which reminds me, I feel sorry for anyone in the US who has to listen to poor Sigourney Weaver trying to narrate the likes of Planet Earth on Discovery. The mere thought of it makes me shudder. I can't believe they did that.

I've been an Attenborough fan since my first VCR and Life on Earth came out. It will take some scrimping but I will buy it as soon as it is available.

At the International Wildlife Film Festival in Missoula each year they have a “Sound like David Attenborough Contest”. Several years ago David even did an imitation of himself that, I’m told, brought the house down. I’m not sure Ms Weaver would be such a good sport. I hear Discovery went with her in an effort to make the series more appealing the American market. It backfired. I hope they learned their lesson.

Mark: well your wife is already top of my good books, as you know. I'll have to start dropping "hey you know Planet Earth, well my friend's wife was Production Co-ordinator on that". I shall have fame vicariously through you and your wife Mark!

Actually one of my biggest regrets is not having accosted the people in the Natural History Unit whilst I lived in Bristol. Oh well.

Thanks for finding this. "You know that Life in Cold Blood? Well my friend Mark's wife was Production whatchamacallit on it. No, you are not worthy." Sweet.
LOL! Sadly you can't have that one John. She didn't work on cold blood. I bred frogs for them... surely that counts :rolleyes:.

I been looking forward to this release for a while! Give word on after it has been aired! I cannot wait to hear feedback. I am so excited! i love Mr.Attenborough shows, everytime i awatch them i feel like a very young child watching them in my pajamas with feet. Can not forget the Trials Of Life. I was fascinated by cetaceans at that age and i could watch the orca segment over and over back then Reason I cannot watch the USA version of Planet earth (why did they have the change narration???)Thank goodness for the internet! I wonder if PBS has any rights to play any of his works.

it is pretty great to know people here have helped in the making of the documentary!

Yes Mark, we are not worthy :).

Remember that Salamander documentary? Marc Staniszewski helped with that (he's thanked in the credits). How's he doing lately Mark? (seriously)

lol the book that goes with the series is great. i did get **** about the mis labeling of an axolotl and emailed the bbc. def have a look at getting the book though, well worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back