Food for metamorphs

shop worn angel

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Once my larvae morph, I'll be putting them in their tank ( in about 2 weeks' time). I have a large rock island set-up in the tank with an inch of water. Should I expect the morphed firebellies to eat on land or in the water or both? Also, if I need to set up a container on land, I plan to have a dish of live worms upon one of the rocks. What kind of dish do you recommend? I'd expect this to be shallow enough for the newtlets to get into, but deep enough that the worms won't crawl out. Just wondering....

Thanks!

You're on the right track. Almost any dish will work. Be sure to put some tiny pebbles in the dish - this gives the blackworms something to curl around so that they are less likely to climb out. You have to be careful not to put too many worms in the dish at once, as they'll rot if crowded.

Thanks for the advice- I would not have thought about putting rocks in the container, as well.

My understanding then is that the newtlets will be eating on land for the first while. How long can I expect them to do this? I'm assuming I do not put any worms in the water, then???

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back