Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Injured T-Grans.

iceberg78

Reaction score
Last week I had an issue with one of my T-Grans not eating at its regular feeding. A couple days later I see the tail of one of the other T-Grans looking like it was attacked, so I am assuming the one thaught the others tail was a meal. Is there something i should do to the tail, or should I leave it alone. Also The part that looks bad fell off yeaterday.

100_0625.jpg

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Watch the tail closely for signs of infection, such as white fuzz or continued necrosis of the tissue. Become familiar with this article: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/sores.shtml. As long as infection does not set in, it should recover just fine and the tail tip will very likely grow back, newts have great regenerative properties.
How is the injured newt behaving? I would be concerned if it refuses to eat and becomes less active than what is normal for it. I would also recommend separating the newt in its own container until it recovers to lessen stress. It is important to find the under laying cause - if it is fighting with a tank mate or if there is anything in the tank (decorations, etc) that it could have gotten hurt on. Whatever caused the damage needs to be rectified.
Good luck and ask more questions if you need to,
Heather

iceberg78

Reaction score
The tail looks a little funny, and just today he started becoming inactive and refusing to eat.

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Quarantine him, I would use a plastic shoe box and damp unbleached paper towels. Also provide a few hides, and lower the temp as much as you can - you can even put him in the fridge but watch that he doesn't become too dry. Read through the above posted link for appropriate treatment options. Don't be too concerned if he doesn't eat for a while as long as he is at a good weight now, but I would offer earthworm chunks and other highly nutritious foods often.
Heather

iceberg78

Reaction score
I have quarantined him. He is in a 12 x 8 plastic container with about 3/4" of water. I did that because he is normally always in the water. I found some Maracyn-two at the local pet store today. It said to put 2 packets per 10 gallans, but since he is in such a small amount of water I just sprinkled a little in. I also got him to eat today. I normally always feed my newts cut up nightcrawlers, but he wouldn't eat it so I tried a waxworm and he ate that.

iceberg78

Reaction score
Update. His tail looks much better and I have returned him to his normal home. The big problem now is he wont eat. I haven't got him to eat anything since my last post. I have tried the waxworms, earth worms, bloodworms, and reptotreat and he refuses it all. This is quite strange because he is the one that usually eats anyhing I put in front of him. Any suggestions?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1