Ph Balance

kassie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, what would cause my ph to drop to 6.5. I have two outside ponds both treated the same the one with my axie in it is not good, we have had volumes of rain pouring down for two weeks now, as the other ponds ph is perfect I am a bit baffled as to why this has happened.

Biological decay produces acid. In any aquarium where there is food, animals, plants, etc., the pH will drop over time. This effect is particularly noticeable if the water is low in minerals (such as rain water). The reason the pond with the axolotl is a lower pH is probably because of the biological processes associated with the axolotl and its waste.

To correct the problem, do more/larger water changes in the axie pond. Or you can add a small amount of limestone or other calcium carbonate source, which will slowly dissolve and buffer the pH. Don't try to fix the problem with the pH adjuster products that they sell for aquariums.

Hi, I am doing my best to correct the problem,I have just purchased a battery powered aquarium cleaner and it is quite incredible and have just done a water change which takes some time as there is 300 litres in the pond the balance has now risen to 7, I suppose I get a calcium block in the pet shop.

If you can keep the waste cleaned, you probably don't need the calcium block. What exactly is in a calcium block? I'd be cautious about this.

Hi, I didn't get anything to correct the PH I thought better of it, the balance is now 7 the waste has been removed I did google calcium carbonate and found out shells have natural calcium so I have scattered large shells in the pond..............about 50 cent size everything seems alright she is very happy.....................Thankyou for your reply

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back