Lighting and heat

jett862

Reaction score
Country
United States
I used the search feature to give me a general idea, but I was hungry for some second opinions.

I'm housing 9 N.V.V. in a 25-30ish high paludarium (despite being adults, many are terrestrial, water levels were healthy.. discussion for another day), and this tank is also serving as my first attempt at using live plants in a cage.

The fixture I'm using only has a socket for one light, but if need be I could make my own.

What sort of lightning would be appropriate for sustaining moderate light plants?

What type of bulb fits the socket? Incandescent lights give off too much heat. Your newts do NOT want heat. You can get compact fluorescent bulbs to fit most incandescent sockets. Any fluorescent light should be fine. I use some "plant and aquarium" bulbs, but the light is somewhat pink and I don't think they are really much better than standard bulbs. If you want to get fancy, you can get a bulb that has a low level of UV, like the Reptisun 2.

Some folks like Compact Fluorescent bulbs but I have never been a big fan. I do, however, like T5 tubes. The light they put out is very intense and does a great job for planted tanks etc. if you have the sheckles, pop for the high output versions from Nova and they will amaze you.

Thanks for the replies, sorry about posting this in the wrong section; meant to post in tank/lighting, no idea how I wound up in the axies section :/

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back