Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Vitamin Supplements?

Genome42

Reaction score
I was on the search earlier for somewhere online which sells axolotl pellets in the Uk (thanks for the address bellaboo!)when i came across this care sheet at http://www.livefood.co.uk/zaxolotl.htm which suggested "liquid vitamin drops" as a supplement.
I was just wondering if anyone gives their axies these drops and whether they are nessacery as i have never seen them mentioned before?

Abrahm

Reaction score
I would say vitamin drops are not necessary and usually don't work well. Liquid vitamins would quickly disperse into the tank and really have little effect on the axolotl and many of the ingredients of these products could easily be long past their prime. Feeding a wide range of food items is usually the best way of making sure your axolotl gets all his nutrients.

I'd be a little wary of that guy's care sheet. He posted it nearly 14 years ago now. Axolotl.org has much more up to date and better researched information.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A fresh, good-quality pellet food should already contain all the needed vitamins. I've never heard of using liquid vitamin drops for an aquatic animal. As Abrahm said, it seems like diluted in the water they wouldn't do much.

Last edited:

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whilst it may not be comparable I’ve read of dart frog keepers who routinely add liquid vitamins to their vivarium misting systems with favourable results. It’s not always easy to provide a nutritionally balanced diet for such tiny frogs hence the experimentation. Axolotls on the other hand can easily be provided a balanced diet as they accept a range of nutritious foods. On those grounds there should be no need to experiment with liquid vitamins.

gr33neyes

Reaction score
time to start digging up good old fashioned earthworms Genome, they're full of goodies for axolotls , you can also use slugs, ear wigs and snails if you break the shells.My axolotls love preying on live food.

Genome42

Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts! It seemed unessacery to me also as i was pretty sure pellets and extra treats would be sufficient but always good to get others opinions on these things

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Genome,

Check the packet. Most products are required by law nowadays to provide a contents list including any additives or preservatives etc. If your brand doesnt have any vitamin supplements added find a brand that does.

There are booklets available which contain the numbers like preservative 102 and will tell you exactly what that is. Im in NZ we can get them from the consumers institute I wouldn't know where to get one in Britain but I do know they exist over there.

Good luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1