Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Weird Rock Thing?

Rei

Reaction score
Well in my tank this morning, there appears to be a sort of black rock, with white speckles on top. Apart from that it is shaped a bit like an igloo and at the entrance to the igloo there seems to be small white gooey looking things?

Anyone know what this is and should i remove it?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I have no idea what it is....so I think it should be removed. Would you be able to take a photo of it so that it may be more easily identified?

Rei

Reaction score
Not got a picture and its about 1cm x 1.5cm

oceanblue

Reaction score
Is it a spermatophore? There are pictures in the breeding thread. Sorry I've not yet mastered links in my computer skills!

Rei

Reaction score
I think it may have just been poop, I removevd it from my tank and it disindigrated in my hand...I got rid of it though.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Rei,

Problem solved. Sounds very much like pooh my axies pass some weird looking stuff at times as well.

Good luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1