Neurergus kaiseri eggs

Great news Alan! Good luck with the eggs.

Superb! I hope those are free range chickens you're not counting....:D

Super! How does the timing (beginning of egg laying) compare to last year? I find that my N.strauchii are amazingly consistent year to year. (Now that I have said this, they'll start in a different month this year;)).

Great news Alan! Another step closer to stop the illegal trade from Iran, and save the natural population.

Timing is almost identical to last year Jen, but that's not surprising because my timing from winter rest period -> semi-aquatic setup is the same, so they've started laying at roughly the same interval after entering the water (18 days) as last year.
Maybe the male will calm down now and stop fanning at my finger through the glass!

Thats really great to see again, Alan. Congratulations!!!

Methinks Alan has made a deal with the devil or something :p. Congratulations!

Congratulations, Alan! I just found this thread in John's blog - must have missed it.
Do you know how many eggs they laid?

Great news Alan ,keep up the good work.

I can see a dozen or so eggs at the moment, but I haven't pulled everything out to count them as last year the eggs left with the parents did best. Last year the female laid over a long period of time, nearly three months, so plenty to come yet , I hope!

Well done Alan. No one deserves success more! I can't remember what happened to the last batch?

I can't remember what happened to the last batch?

Keep taking the tablets Will! ;-)

I have a group of 5 I'm growing on, waiting to exchange bloodlines with another breeder once they have sexed out.

The rest have been distributed in groups to experienced breeders. Look out for the kaiseri CB population explosion and tumbling prices in 2009. At that point, the WC imports will hopefully become uneconomic (and definitely not worth getting shot at to collect).

AC: "The rest have been distributed in groups to experienced breeders. Look out for the kaiseri CB population explosion and tumbling prices in 2009. At that point, the WC imports will hopefully become uneconomic (and definitely not worth getting shot at to collect)."

Good action plan Alan, I hope to join you! In P. laoensis the breeders within a studbook among each other have also agreed to ask for a fair price. Perhaps the time has come to do so as well for this species. Then we show that we truly care about the animals, and not that much about the money. In fact you have already started some kind of studbook (only giving away animals under conditons), perhaps this can be expanded?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back