Easy way to feed Larvae

Neurus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, i found a very simple solution to feeding Larvae daphnia. The majority of the problems seems to be that the water over the larvae needs to be quite shallow as to increase the saturation of daphnia so that the larvae can catch them. However these LED lights eg http://cgi.ebay.com/6-MINI-BOOK-LIT...ryZ45115QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem when placed at one side of the tank will attract all the daphnia into a very and i mean VERY compact area (like moths to a lightbulb). All my larvae have very quickly realised that when they are hungry they just swim towards the light and its easy pickings.
It also prevents the larvae getting stressed out from their tails being messed with by the daphnia

Hope it helps. Ps. i am not the one selling the item on ebay it is merely an example

I never had a problem feeding daphnia or brineshrimp. As our larvae were in clear containers (and some in tanks) the daphnia do tend to go to the end where most of the natural light comes in. But it's really only the first few days (to a week or so) after hatching they need the shallow water to hunt.

Not knocking your idea (yes light works on Daphnia) but Kapo is right. The best idea is the shallow water. However I would venture from my own experience that not so shallow water is a better idea - it lengthens the time taken to feed by quite a bit. If you're raising something cannibalistic this cuts down on nipping.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back