Starting again!

toffeebonbon

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
laura_kyneston
iVE HAD MY AXIE FOR ABOUT A YEAR NOW AND HES HAPPY AND HEALTHY. HOWEVER AFTER READING A FEW OF THESE THREADS I AM SURE MY TANK IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!!
I HAVE SMALL PEBBLES ON THE BOTTOM AND SEVERAL FAKE PLANTS AND A FILTER AND THATS ALL.

I WANT TO COMPLETELY START AGAIN BUT SO MANY PEOPLE TELL YOU SO MANY DIFFERENT THINGS!!

HELP!!

Who are these "people" telling you different things? If they are pet shop employees or fish-keepers, they may or may not know much about axolotls. Pet shop employees have a tendency to "extrapolate" from what they know, and this can result in some doubtful advice.

You probably don't need to completely start over. Your tank will remain healthier and more stable for the animals if you make changes a little bit at a time. For starters, take out the pebbles. Anything smaller than the axie's head can be swallowed, with unfortunate results. Nothing else sounds seriously wrong with your setup. Adding some hides may be a good idea. What kind of filter does it have?

...yes, I agree with Jen except one thing that was not mentioned in your opener - what size is your tank? Of course you can use it with removing the gravel - if it's big enough.

...yes, I agree with Jen except one thing that was not mentioned in your opener - what size is your tank? Of course you can use it with removing the gravel - if it's big enough.
how do i find out how many gallons it holds!!?!?!

Who are these "people" telling you different things? If they are pet shop employees or fish-keepers, they may or may not know much about axolotls. Pet shop employees have a tendency to "extrapolate" from what they know, and this can result in some doubtful advice.

You probably don't need to completely start over. Your tank will remain healthier and more stable for the animals if you make changes a little bit at a time. For starters, take out the pebbles. Anything smaller than the axie's head can be swallowed, with unfortunate results. Nothing else sounds seriously wrong with your setup. Adding some hides may be a good idea. What kind of filter does it have?
im not sure at the moment im at work. ill have a look when i get home. i think it needs replacing though. i think it is much too powerful and my axie curls his gills so i think it stresses him out.

Hi Laura can you post a picture of your setup?

I am the no substrate advocate so I would definately get rid of the gravel but as others have said you may not need to completely start again. Especially if you have no health issues.

Good Luck

Hi Laura,

Calculating the volume of the tank isn't as daunting as it seems. First you must calculate the surface area (SA) which is achieved by: length multiplied by width. This will give you a measurement that will be in sq cm. In order to determine the gross volume, you have to multiply the SA by the height of your tank. Keep in mind that this value will be cubic centimetres. To convert cubic cm into litres, you will have to divide the value by 1000.
I noticed that you are from the U.K. so you should be familiar with the metric system but if you really must know the volume in gallons then all you need to know is 1 gallon = 3.7854 litres. Therefore, it is easy enough to figure out the volume in gallons with the appropriate ratio. For instance, if you wanted to know how much 6.5 L is in gallons you would do the following ratio:

1 gal = 3.7854 L

Y (unknown gal) = 6.5 L

...cross multiply

Y x 3.7854 L = 6.5 L x 1 gal

(6.5 L x 1 gal)/3.7854 L

Y = 1.72 gal

Hope this helps!

Jay.

laura going by your measurements on your other post your tank should be around 81 litres...at least thats what im getting back on my online searches for your tank size.

my search on your filter has said it is suitable for 40 litres, so for 81 lites you will need the aqua one 102 f maxi internal filter. This is suitable for 75 litres.

I usually downsize filters for caudates, because of their preference for less current. So I wouldn't necessarily say that the filter should be larger. With either size filter, be sure that the outflow is deflected to prevent a current.

Does the tank have a lid to prevent jumping out?

i agree with you jennewt, i actually use a smaller filter, one size down from the recommended size for the volume of water. But I make up for this with regular small water changes, I've had no problems by doing this. It just depends if you're prepared to do a little extra work on keeping your water quality good.

I run on 700L/Hr for 120L of water.. I find internals create more flow than external cannisters, Plus also if you have more than recommended axies in yr tank the more filtration is needed i find...

I have 2 in 120L. 1.5ft each axie.

god thats much too complicated!! i think ill leave it!

Lol...sorry I forget that not everybody can understand my jargon which can be in a different language sometimes :p

Jay.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back