Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pin balling

Amiracle

Reaction score
Is it normal for axies to pinball all over the tank when frightened? The other day, one of my axies startled the other and she went CRAZY, bouncing off the edges of the tank, which in turn caused the other axie to do the same thing. I had this issue when they were juveniles, but haven't had the problem for a few years, so I am wondering if something is wrong that's causing them to do this? Also, there are plenty of hides in the tank but for some reason they like hanging out together. This is cute, but is it normal?

kapo

Reaction score
Sometimes it can just be from fright, which sets them off. But then on the odd occasion it's always good to just check the water parameters (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate) and temperature are okay. This can also effect them - usually the weaker (one with lowest immune system) of the bunch.

Hanging out together is normal even with hides/caves. Ours do the stacking thing in a corner, one on top of each other, then the bottom one will zip off knocking them all down like a tower of blocks and set them flying in different directions till they settle in opposite areas or crammed into one hideaway :D

Amiracle

Reaction score
I do check the parameters- although probably not as often as some do... They've recently moved house (to my DAd's) while I get the new tank set up, so maybe it has something to do with the diffence in traffic past the tank and the difference in lighting in the room- they stay in the dark a lot more now, so they do get scared when I turn on the lights. The only thing is I am frightened that they'll hurt themselves.

Saspotato

Reaction score
Do you have any sharp objects in your tank? If you do and your axolotls tend to react violently to light, it is a good idea to remove them to reduce the risk of injury. Otherwise I wouldn't worry too much if your parameters are ok. My axolotl has swum into the tank walls plenty of times when startled (especially when I am after him with a net) and has always been unscathed.

kapo

Reaction score
One thing you could do is partially cover the top and one side of the tank with a towel/material so that when you do put on the light it isn't as glaring/startling as it would normally be.

Since you've recently moved them to your Dads, might be an idea to just test the parameters tomorrow, in case your tank's gone through a minicyle. If any ammonia/nitrite then do the 20-30% waterchanges every day till they come down. Otherwise testing weekly/fortnightly or whenever there appears to be something out of the ordinary or of concern (pinballing) to rule water problems out is fine!

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Amiracle,

Yes its quite normal and part of the natural fight or flight response, If there are lots of plants and hiding places in your tank this will help settle them as they will find a spot and hide.

Good Luck

The Boys

Reaction score
My brother and I whizz round our tank too. Usually we only do this when our owner is cleaning us out and then we blow bubbles too. Sometimes though we just whizz about for fun!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!