Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie has been attacked - leg hanging off.

ariddell

Reaction score
Hi,
I've had 2 healthy happy axies (Perfecto and Fluro) for about 4-5 months now, they generally get on great living together in their tank.

Today when i came to give them a water change and feed them i found that the smaller of the two (Fluro) appears to have been attacked by the other and one of its front legs is detached from its body, hanging on only by a piece of bone at what would be its shoulder.

It looks to me as if the other Axie has mistaken its leg moving for food and has tried to pull it off.

What should i do? The poor thing must be in a lot of pain having basically lost its whole leg. It's still swimming around a little on the bottom of the tank but isn't showing much interest in eating.

To make matters worse we are going on holiday for 5 weeks on Saturday so i am having a friend look after the Axies whilst i am away who wont be able to do as much to help poor Fluro if things get worse and will only be doing water changes and feeding.

Any help you can give on how best to help Fluro out over the next few days would be good. I thought about moving him/her into the fridge which is at 3 degrees C but am worried this may be too cold. The wound currently doesn't look infected or anything and Fluro is still able to get around, just not as mobile as usual.

Thanks

Al

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your little axolotl. I would move it into the fridge if you can raise the temperature to over 5 degrees( use a cup of water with the thermometer in to check the temp). Cover the container with a cloth so that the fridge light going on and off won't frighten it. Also I would leave a couple of bottles of dechlorinated wate rin there to for the daily water changes.
I would write a list of instructions on what your friend needs to do, plus the webmail address for this site in case they need help. Axolotl's are amazing in that they can re-grow missing limbs etc, now is the limb completely gone or is it still attached ?...was a little confused ( which is not unusual!!) . Let us and I am sure someone will be able to advise further .

ariddell

Reaction score
The fridge is digitally controlled so i can definately bring it up to 5 degrees easily enough if that's the best approach.

The limb is still hanging on, all the skin is detached from the body but there is still the bit of bone keeping it attached to the body. Is there anything i can do with the injury directly to help it out?

gr33neyes

Reaction score
if I were you then I would just leave it alone for now, but keep an eye on it. Just keep it quiet in the fridge. Keep a look out for sign of infection and keep us posted.

ariddell

Reaction score
Thanks guys, i've moved him into the fridge in a reasonable sized tank of water and the water dispenser is at the same temperature as the fridge for changes.

I'll see how it goes for the next couple of days and keep you posted.

thanks

Al

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Ho hum...
I'm a little uneasy about you seeing the bare bone, it sounds like it may need to be amputated by a vet. I feel that in its current state it will add more of a risk for infection, especially as the dead part begins to break down. Also as it is now like this it'll catch on things etc. I would see a vet , especially as you are dur to be on holiday soon.

ianclick

Reaction score
I agree with Bella,

If the leg is literally hanging on by a thread then amputation would be the best option. Get to a vet asap. Axies have incredible regeneration powers so I wouldn't worry. Infections are the big issue so fridging and a careful watch will be needed to ensure your axie doesnt get sick.

Best of Luck

ariddell

Reaction score
Thanks, when i got home from work today the leg has now totally come off. It appears to be quite a clean detach from the body, but will need to keep a close eye on it to make sure infection doesn't get in.

The Axie seems a bit more active than it was yesterday and seems perfectly happy in the fridge so i'll see how it goes now there's not really anything left for a vet to amputate.

snussmak

Reaction score
haven't read exactly what those others have said, so i risk being copying. separate the injured animal and keep him in an own enclosure, as long as you feed him and tke great care of him he will have a fully regenerated leg in a couple of months. on axolotl that i bought missed both of his left legs, but they grew back in just 4 months, thanks to a healthy diet of fat worms and blood worms :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1