a bloated tiger salamander

trincan

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Kara B
Posted a few months ago, was worried about our tiger being so inactive and now, after waiting a while to dig him up, we have found him bloated. He is alive, he ate a peice of worm...what do we do?
His cage is clean, always water...I was confident he was healthy and happy...I need some help, I don't have too much experience with bloat.

he is still pretty bloated.

Has anyone had a bloated tiger salamander before?

Bloat is a symptom of an underlying issue...often secondary to infection, metabolic distress and/ or organ failure. The underlying condition must be treated if possible. I would recommend seeing a vet who has experience with amphibians.

Symptomatic relief from bloat has included treating with salt baths:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/salt.shtml
This however, does not correct the underlying pathology.

Here is a further explanation of bloat and cautions to use (in case you have not seen it):
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/bloatEDK.shtml

"His cage is clean, always water.." - would you care to give us further detail on this? May provide additional insight.

he is in a well ventilated tank, with a nice clean water bowl, and coco fiber for substrate. He eats well, and has since we got him, maybe 10 months ago? he has just been inactive, and not his usual self...
he looks like a sausage, and i know it isn't just fat.

thet do eat well ,too well, they will eat all you can throw at them and then more, i would say you have nothing more than a overfed porker of a salamander lol and nothing to worry about. A sal with bloat will not normally eat, are his legs and neck also swolen ? Tigers are well known to become obese ,as you say they are pretty inactive and only tend to eat and sleep, thus piling on weight. When i said nothing to worry about, being too fat is not good and you should probably try to get his weight down, unless you can stick a beard on him and teach him to sing opera (theres a vacancy there) lol. Seriously i would bet on him being just over weight.

I would like to see a decent photo of it before passing judgement.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back