help, strange bump/injury looking thing

Dude

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
Country
France
hey everyone. I had my axie for a while now, maybe 4 or 5 months. Only had a little fungi problem which thanks to the advice from the people here I had no problem dealing with. Everything has been fine for about 3 months now until a couple of days ago he or she (named him dude but I am totally unsure of its sex) had his gills pointing forward and was strangely floating around and not eating. I thought it may have been something to do with water movement or pollution (would be strange since I have always had the filter on since I got him and keep testing the water as well) so I turned the filter off and started to change some of the water every day. Now he doesn't have his gills pointing forward anymore and tried to eat but spat the food back out (pellets). and also, I have noticed a funny looking bump on his head. I attached a picture, its not really good but the bumps appears to be sort of red when seen from top and its on the left side of his head (right on the pic). Any ideas to help me ?

Attachments

• PICT1383.JPG
    PICT1383.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 893
Hi Dude,

Hard to tell from your photo. I would say a trip to the vet is needed could be a number of things from a early stage tumour, haematoma, or even bite there appears to be some sort of injury site behind the red bit. Whatever the reason its not a good look and If it were mine I would be on the way to the vet.

Best of Luck

Ian

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back