Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sonora Tiger Salamander (Video + Link)

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
The Sonora Tiger Salamander (Ambystoma mavortium [SIZE=-1]stebbinsi known formerly as Ambystoma tigrinum [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]stebbinsi) is found only in the grasslands and woodlands of the [/SIZE]San Rafael Valley in Santa Cruz and Cochise counties in southeastern Arizona and in the most northern parts of Sonora, Mexico. It is listed as endangered in the USA and as such the Arizona Game and Fish Department is required to survey the population several times a year. This marvelous video is from their web site. You can read more about the Sonora Tiger Salamander there.

<object height="373" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KPwWBetVP_g&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="373" width="425"></object>

Note on the embedding of videos: Due to security concerns we currently do not allow users to embed videos in their messages. However if you want a video from Youtube or some such site embedded in your message I can do it for you. Simply post the address of the video in your message and drop me a PM afterwards - I can then embed it for you.

Last edited:

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
My upcoming article for the magazine is about my chasing Ambystoma mavortium mavortium in west Texas. I was looking in superficially similar habitats on the Great Plains, tumbleweed and all. There is a twist though because I was chasing a specific race of barred tiger that was first documented over 30 years ago. I'm returning in a month or so for more photos and info to fill in some blanks.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was so glad to see they let them go, I started getting a bad feeling when I saw the seining net. The few times I've gone fish sampling with my boyfriend, they put all the animals in formaldehyde to examine back at the lab. I was so disheartened I don't go anymore...That was a fun video.

Last edited:

pierson_hill

Reaction score
They aren't particularly rare within their range, simply their range is extremely restricted. The primary conservation threats are introduction of bullfrogs and Green Sunfish to cattle tanks which can extirpate resident salamander populations. Even more insidious, is rampant genetic introgression from Ambystoma mavortium mavortium caused by fishermen using larvae imported from other areas as bait. It's not really a huge deal in the grand scheme of things because stebbensi is nothing more than a relict inbred population of A. m. mavortium to begin with. For instance, in a 1988 study approximately 60% of adult stebbensi were indistinguishable from A. m. mavortium based on color pattern alone.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!