Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

In planning, need HELP.

kianie

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to Axolotls and plan to buy two in a couple of months of time.

So right now I'm planning, as I am the type of person who loves planning these types of things.

I will be getting a tank off my boyfriends parents in a couple of weeks time and want to start setting up for my axolotls then so I do not have to re-cylce it.

TANK = 92cm X 34 cm X 42cm.
FILTER = Aqua One Canister Fillter CF- 1000

The thing is I want to do A LOT of changing to the current tanks set up.

This means removing the pebbles off the bottom (too small) and replacing it will sand and larger rocks and pebbles.

Growing plants like Java Fern, Java Moss and Anubias. More suggestions would be great.

In terms of a hidey-places would I need two? And what could I use?

Would the aqua fertiliser and such hurt my Axies? Because I'm fine with not using it if it could harm them.

I plan to tie the plants down to large-ish rocks and drift wood and maybe weight them down with more rocks :D

On a final note would these changes disrupt the biological filtration in any way and should there be a certain time period for each thing?

Also looking for breeders in my area, as I want to raise them from an early age.

Thanks a Bunch if you guys can help :D

P.S Any Sydney-siders have some off cuts of plants they don't need? ;)

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Kianie,

Good to here you are planning first and welcome to the site. Have a look at www.axolotl.org it has heaps of info on all things axie related.

Your plan to date sounds great. I don't know what the aqua fertiliser is, personally I don't use anything except a water ager when I am doing water changes I don't like the idea of chemical quick fixes.

Good Luck

kianie

Reaction score
I've devoured all the information on that site before I registered to this forum ^_^

I posted because I wanted to know if changing the substare and adding plants would affect the biological filteration. As I have hear many horror stories involing un-cycled tanks and I wanted to make sure I would know if and when I would get any nasty amonia spikes.

And of course if the tank would be suitable for two Axies( I have read in differnt threads adiving different amounts of extra room per an adult on this forum ) considering the size of the tank and how many hidey places would be advisable.

Also on the look out for sydney siders who have aqautic plant clippings left over from trimming there tanks I could take of their hands and if there are any breeders in Sydney willing to sell me some young axies. As I trust memebers of this form to raise healthy and fit Axies unlike some Local Pet stoores or markets.

Thanks Ianclick on the advise on the fertlisers ^_^

Edited: left a sentence halfed finished, silly me.

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Your tank size should be fine for 2 Axolotls.
To my experience it is of no big importance how many hideaways you have - my Axolotls mostly share one cave and leave the other ones unoccupied.
Bringing plants into a cycling tank might slow down the cacling process since plants favour the same chemicals the filtration bacteria do - ammonia and nitrite. On the other hand - if you cycle the tank first and then put some plants in the bacteria will starve if you don't add any additional input (animals, fish flakes, pellets and so on).
I have one additional hint considering sand and large rocks. When you set rocks atop sandy substrate you will have to periodically remove the rocks and clean the sand underneath for some debris and feces will collect beneath the stones and the sand might get dense. This might lead to unaerated parts and in the long run to (unwanted) fermentation gas.

And what I should have said first: it's good that you get information and ask questions prior to getting your Axolotls!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1