Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Widgety Grubs

kassie

Reaction score
I have to ask would my Axie eat a Widety Grub I have lots in my garden

gr33neyes

Reaction score
your axolotl would probably have a go yes, its live food after all. I would be wary though because of the pincer like mouth, you would have to crush or sever the head first so as to make sure the grub can't cause any damage internally by biting.

radtad

Reaction score
thanks those are really quite large. They look like meal worms that we have in the United States only much bigger and we do not have them in our back yards we have to buy them. Thank you for the pic

Rad

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Kassie,

In New Zealand we have a similar critter called a Huhu Grub and yes if you remove the head they are ok to feed. I have tried them on my axies and they were not a great success I think that the peanut flavour was not to their liking. They regurgitated quite a lot of it but minus the head its worth a try.

They morph into a large hard winged flying beetle

Saspotato

Reaction score
Snow4aaron, they morph into cossid moths. It's an Australian slang word I think, not the 'technical' name as far as I know. It's because they eat a plant by the name 'Witchetty'. People can eat them too as they are very high in protein. :)

kassie

Reaction score
Thats correct they become Cossid moths with no mouth to feed their main purpose is to lay eggs they have a wing span of 16cm and come into the house all the time, I have some very nice young Witchetty grubs.......[spelling correction I was pulled up about this one big time] about 1inch long the snipping the head off part kinda makes me shudder but I'll have a go as they are high in protein and she only likes live food, people do eat them but I would have to be lost and starving in the outback with a small fry pan a knob of butter and garlic before I would eat them

Casaloxl

Reaction score
They really are quite yummy.. being squirmy sort of makes one imagine all kinds of yukky things, but they are quite succulent if you give them a go... much better raw then cooked!! they tend to get a bit chewy...

kassie

Reaction score
Maybe washed down with a whole bottle of wine ...............then you wouldn't feel a thing

Casaloxl

Reaction score
a nice boytris semillion maybe.....honey goes luverly with that slight chickeny piquantecy..

kassie

Reaction score
YUM, You should join me and we can go a Witchetty Grub hunting

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1