Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Vomiting

Madhatter

Reaction score
This morning I woke up and found all the food I had feed my axies floating on the top.

As I have 3 axies I'm not sure which one did this, but I think it was my Salsa. Salsa won't stop eating and I have to stop feeding it to make it stop. Is this right?

Also, I have another called Calipso, I'm pretty sure its a male and I've only had it for about 3 weeks, but I've tried so much to feed it and it wont eat. So far I've tried meal worms and feeder fish. Nothing. I'm really worried because it seems to be getting really skinny.

I have a gold one called Cloud that I got about 5 days ago and it will eat one meal worm and thats it. Its just strange that I have Salsa who doesnt stop eating and these guys who will eat nothing.

I'm also pretty sure that Salsa is female and Calipso and Cloud are males.

Saspotato

Reaction score
If axolotls overeat they tend to regurgitate the excess food they have eaten. So that could explain why Salsa has thrown up. Try feeding less. Axolotls are opportunistic eaters and will eat until they gorge themselves usually.

With your other two not eating, have you tried food other than mealworms and feederfish? They would be low down on the list of foods I would recommend people to try... Do you quarantine the feeder fish? If not they can introduce disease into your tank. And also mealworms need to have the heads crushed before feeding and are also high in fat I think. Could you try feeding earthworms or salmon pellets? I would also find out what Calipso and Cloud were fed on previously and try that.

Also, you have bought two new axolotls recently and I am guessing from the what you have said they are all in the same tank. Anything new (fish, axolotls, plants) must be quarantined for a minimum of 30 days. It is possible your new axolotls are not well and could cause Salsa to become ill also. I would separate the new axolotls from your old one for quarantine purposes.

What are your water parameters like also? New axolotls may have increased the bioload of your tank and that can lead to water quality problems, which may explain the food refusal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!