Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Chinese Fire bellies- Size?

Wyrd

Reaction score
What are the average size of your Chinese Fire belly Newts?

I have one, hes a sweet little guy, but he is only about 2-2 1/2 inches long, including his tail.
Compared to my other newts he is very small.

I bought him as I felt sorry for him, as he was in a big tank all on his own in the shop, all the other newts had been sold and no body wanted him as he was so small.

i2canoe

Reaction score
Small FBN

I too bought a runt Chinese FBN.
It too seemed unwanted and is also only about 2.5 inches.
He was living (or hiding) two inches of water in a small tank with a small turtle. The salesman suggested I might want to wait a week or two until he got in some larger ones, but I needed as soon as I saw him/her?
It must have been stressed as for the first couple of weeks would not go in the water and really refused the freeze dry shrimp and tublifex I was trying to feed it.
A couple of weeks later I found another pet store with larger ones and picked up a very active three inch specimen.
The salesman recommended frozen blood worms, and what a difference!
Both are now very active, nearly always in the water hunting for food.
I understand they should be fed only every other day but I find hard not to feed them every day as they seem to live to eat.

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Co's can potentially reach 4 inches/10cm in size. I have two males (unknown ages, I bought them from a kid who no longer wanted them) and they are each a little over 3 inches long. Males have shorter tails than females and may be smaller in body size all around. Mine really like frozen blood worms, chunks of earthworms, and black worms. I don't think I have ever had a newt that was fond of tubifex worms, freeze dried of frozen. You can also try live white worms. They are easy to culture and small enough that you don't have to chop them up before feeding them to smaller newts like C. orientalis.

i2canoe

Reaction score
. . . I don't think I have ever had a newt that was fond of tubifex worms, freeze dried of frozen. You can also try live white worms. They are easy to culture and small enough that you don't have to chop them up before feeding them to smaller newts like C. orientalis.

40 years ago, incorrectly keeping the odd FBN with my tropical fish, they did not have any choice until they escaped the confines to perish, as, as a kid, fish flakes and freeze dried tubifex was about all I knew about.

The thing with frozen tubifex is that they are really pale in colour and fine (thin) compared to blood worms so they are much harder for the newts to find. While they do go for it, especially until the clump starts separate, my pair seems to get frustrated looking for them biting each other sometimes.

Will stick with blood worms for now.

grunsven

Reaction score
My C. cyanurus get living tubifex regularly and it is always gone rapidly. (I once asked if they liked it but they wouldn't answer)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1