Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl REFUSING earthworms

snussmak

Reaction score
hi, i've got a quite unusual problem, one of my axolotls' refuse to eat worms. i've always used a pair of tweezers when i feed them so they seem to recognise them as something shiny that brings food. anyway, at first he ate worms but nowadays he just swim to the surface and tries to bite the tweezer instead of the wriggling worm. at first i thought that he suffered from some mental instability (a salamander that refuses worms?) but he seemed to be able to eat frozen bloodworms so i stopped bothering. so my question is; does anyone know the reason of this weird behaviour?

newtboyuk

Veterinarian
Reaction score
Hi Alexander,

It sounds very much like he does still associate the tweezers with food as he is trying to bite them! He is probably just a little confused!

I have a colony of very tame mandarin newts and they will very often focus on the hand/cocktail stick/forceps instead of the worm! They do eventually get it with some manouvering of the tweezers!

Don't give up and keep trying - maybe try and move the tweezers in a way that the worm is more visible! I'm reasonably confident he will still take earthworms from you,

Good luck!
Mark

snussmak

Reaction score
haha that is so true, as i have noticed that the only reason of why he's eating the worms is because he swallows them by accident when he bites the tweezers :p

kapo

Reaction score
Alexander - axolotls have poor eyesight and tend to respond to smell and most movement (even if it isn't food) towards/above/inside the tank. So it's not unusual that it grabs at the tweezers.

We notice it when we use the turkey baster or gravel cleaner as well for cleaning.

snussmak

Reaction score
ok, i tried to give it some frozen blood worms and it worked! as long as he is not starving im pleased :)

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Nevertheless you should keep on trying with some earthworms or other food (pellets, live or dead fish, woodlice, sweetwater shrimp and so on).
Bloodworms are okay but for adult axolotls they are just snacks because the biggest part of them is water.

If they are eating after all at least there is no serious problem and you will have time to train them to catch bigger worms ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1