snails

shop worn angel

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi! I have had my new chinese firebelly larvae tank set up for about 2 weeks now, and I was just about to put the larvae in the tank, as the oldest one is now 3 months old. I just realized that there are several snails ( about 4 or 5) in the tank's shallow water. Do I remove the snails? Can I put the larvae in the tank, still? Do I need to do a full water change of the tank before putting the larvae in there? Do you suggest I use only plastic plants to avoid this problem?

The water also seems to be very dirty- I cannot identify what it is that is in there, as the only thing that has been in the tank has been the live plants, and the snails, apparently. It looks like scattered dirt all over the tank. Is this wastes produced by the snails??? It's kind of a flaky dirt-like substance all through the tank.

Hi
Sounds like snail poo!
I would recommend removing the snails and a water change or siphoning out as much as you can before putting the larvae into the tank.

i get mini snails in my tank when i buy new plants i have never noticed any dirt caused by them tho . i have just cycled a new tank and it was a bit cloudy at first i dont now why, but it soon cleared.

hello i had problems with snails in my tank, no matter what i done i could not gat rid of them!!
i went to the pet shop and got a some clown louch and now i dont have any problems!!!

lone snail

I checked on a pond recently and found loads of one small kind of water snail one lonely bigger snail that had a different shaped shell, he was the only one, I'll find out the name and update the post, he lives with my hongkonggensis now, the newts find him very interesting.

hello i had problems with snails in my tank, no matter what i done i could not gat rid of them!!
i went to the pet shop and got a some clown louch and now i dont have any problems!!!

You put a clown loach in the tank with your newts? You need to get that poor guy out of there if he is still alive. Clowns need warmer water with a faster moving current. Not to mention when he gets big enough he might try to eat your newts.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that clown loaches thrive in groups and are often very stressed and unhappy when alone and aren't able to school with other clowns.

And large amounts snails are a sign of overfeeding. They are a symptom and not the cause.

Even with larvae I like some snails as they remove left overs and therefore prevent ammonia peaks. these shouldn't be dangerous to the larvae.

You put a clown loach in the tank with your newts? You need to get that poor guy out of there if he is still alive. Clowns need warmer water with a faster moving current. Not to mention when he gets big enough he might try to eat your newts.

he is not on this own! i got two! and yes they are still alive!
i have keeped fish all my life i no what they are like! and when i feel they are getting to big they will be going to live in my mums 500liter tank!
thanks any way!!!!!

I have snails in my tanks as well. I would describe them as moderately sized conical shaped snails. I've never had any problems with them, and they keep the algae down.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back