Japanese Fire Belly Newts

DantezGirl

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand-Maori
Display Name
DantezGirl
my two j.f.b.newts gorged themselfs last night the eggs now they are really fat and look like pregnant newts waddleing around

Can newly hatched lavae eat whiteworms or will they be to big for them?

the thing i use for newly hatched larvae is pond water, otheres won't agree because of the chance of introducing something "nasty" but i have used this method for years with no problems. Theres enough microscopic life in pond water to bring on larvae to a size where they can take things such as white worm.

Pond water works well, but if you don't have a pond... yes, they can take whiteworms from the start. Most of the whiteworms are too big for hatchlings, but there are usually small ones in the mix and they can eat those. I would caution you that FBN larvae raised on a long-term diet of whiteworms will end up with a belly color that is yellow, not orange. But for the first few weeks, this isn't a concern.

Are you raising any larvae in the parents' tank? If the tank has plenty of hides and live plants, this can work well, at least for the first few weeks. Like pond water, an established tank is usually loaded with micro-organisms. There's a risk of the larvae being eaten, but most of them seem to avoid this.

hi i only have charmander and charizard there only two and a half months and i dont know if there male female, male male, female female yet

i was just curious as to what to feed lavae should they turn out to be male and female i also dont have a pond in my yard but any way would newly hatched axolotl lavae be able to eat white worm from the time they hatch

there bellys did turn yellow but they have gone back to normal not as fat i have also taken most of the white worms out and scattered them so they have to hunt so to speak and lose some weight in the process lol

thanks for all the info

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back