Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Amputee Axie not moving... HELP!

RUFUS

Reaction score
i have a small axie in a large tank with two larger ones. they get along fine but recently the smaller one had his hind limb bitten/knocked off, also he has a nick in his tail. he was still wondering around fine until i checked on him a moment ago, his leg has dropped off just above the knee now and he is motionless and wont eat. Temp is 18/19C water quality is fine and have 2 large filters running in at least 100 litres on sand substrate.
there are no visible infections and has literally only just started to be motionless, although has refused food for about 5/6 days... tank has also been divided since the initial limb loss.
WHAT SHOULD I DO???!

daryl

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
How large is the 'small one'? 100 liters is not a lot of water for 3 adult axolotls. How big is your tank? What filters are you running?

RUFUS

Reaction score
4 foot by 1 by 1 1/2. 2 adults about 10 inch and small one is 4 inches. large filter similar size to fluval 3 and a medium one like a fluval 2. have been fine until limb loss, now small one is motionless.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you have a 4 foot tank, why is there only 100 liters in it? A tank that size will hold over 150 liters.

A 4 inch axolotl is far too small to be in with 2 ten inch adults (as you've found).

It's probably stressed from limb loss and over-filtration. In addition to both of the filters you have on your tank being powerful internal filters that cause a current, a fluval 3 is big enough to filter almost the entire tank when it's completely full. You're using probably 3 times the filtration you need for the amount of water you have in there. The water movement caused by the two filters is probably stressing them.

RUFUS

Reaction score
they are separated now anyways, the tank is about 10 inches deep with water, just a guestimation on the volume... there are 2 filters as the tank is divided with no holes between so i needed to circulate both sides. and the filters are at opposite ends with the lowest setting. do i need to fridge the small one, or treat him in anyway?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1