Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Chinese firebelly question

Babidi

Reaction score
Hi all,

My Chinese firebelly, around 7-8 years old with what I believe to be MBD (and I think I've posted on him in older threads) seems to have a bit of a problem keeping his lower jaw 'deflated'. The 'trait' has only been with him for about three months, while he's had MBD for going on a year or so now. He'll sort of breathe in beneath the water, causing the sac to inflate like it should, and then breathe back out, deflating it like it should. But when he's idle, or sleeping, it'll just inflate and stay like that, and it inflates itself automatically after deflation as well.

Despite his ailments, he's still a very feisty little guy during feeding time, but otherwise, he seems to enjoy lounging around on his landscape, finding the most peculiarly effective hiding spots, and just chilling in them until something catches his interest. I wouldn't say he's ill at all - he still eats and poops without any issue and he's not bloated in the least. Other than his coiled-up tail (presumably the MBD), the kink in his back (also from the MBD), and that inflation/deflation problem, he's pretty much perfectly fine for an older guy.

I'm just wondering if this is really a problem or not. It doesn't seem to cause him any discomfort or affect his behaviour at all, but is it a sign of anything? Thanks for any replies.

Babidi

Reaction score
Yes, it does look a little like that, except his mouth never fully opens unless he's biting or getting air. Normally, when he sits around, his throat will stay inflated like that, but if he's awake or moving, he'll deflate it as he goes.

Babidi

Reaction score
Sorry to bump, but any ideas on what that could be? It seems to have lessened lately.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1