Hhhhhhhhhheeeeeeelllllllllppppp

tattookaren

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey ,just wondering if anyone can help,our axys had eggs about two weeks ago,and to our surprise she laid eggs again last night-i was wondering if they is any way of putting them off laying eggs,i dont want her to get too stressed out and i dont want to seperate them......i was wondering if it could have been our fault that they have been laying eggs,originally we had all the bottom covered in sand with one end raised up quite high so at the top of that there was only a few inches of water but we removed the mound of sand and leveled it out and a week later she begin to lay eggs,would putting the sand mound back in help put them off and also increasing the water temp so its a bit warmer help,the water temp is quite cold at the moment.......any ideas would be a big help,i really dont want my axys stressed out.............thanks karen..

Usually they lay eggs after receiving environmental cues. Sometimes these can be a drop in temperature followed by a raise in temperature, or a change in the environment. Sometimes the do it for no apparent reason.

The only surefire way to get them to stop laying eggs is to separate them.

thanks,i think it's our fualt,we totally overhauled the tank and then she started laying,the water volume was also increased too,..we took out some water today ..do u think its a good idea to put the mound of sand back in or should we leave them and see what happens over the next few weeks?.....thanks for ya replies.....we have about 40 babies hatched from the first batch of eggs,it's our first time too,so really happy but we dont need any more....again thanks....xxxx

I wouldn't undo any changes you've already made. This is not going to stop them from laying eggs, and it's just going to stress them.

If you don't want to raise the new eggs, you can offer them for sale, or you can leave them in the tank to fend for themselves, or you can take them out and cull them (by freezing if they're not too far developed, or by immersing in alcohol and then freezing if they are developed).

cool thanks,i'll just leave them the way they are and see how it goes............they both seem to be happy enough today so,i'll see how they go,...thanks for all ya help.............i have a quetion about our hatchlings-how often do we feed them brineshrimp,once or twice a day-we do a water change everyday for them......thanks..xxxxx

you need to feed at least twice a day, and remove any dead brine shrimp you see otherwise the water will become polluted.
also depending on how many larvae you have in together and the size of their container will dictate how often you need to change the water.
to many in a small tub would need to be cleaned twice a day minimum to stop water pollution.

we have 3 large tupperware tubs each have twelve in-they are all about a week old,none have died yet..fingers crossed....each tub has about just over an inch of water in.....

The very least you should be doing water changes is every other day. Once a day should be fine though, twice each day is a bit more than really necessary. If you feed the brineshrimp to the axolotls right after the brineshrimp hatch, then they'll normally live in the freshwater for almost a day and then they die and foul the water. If you just have hatchlings, then you should be able to get away with keeping a group of 12 to a shoe box sized tub. Don't get behind on water changes though, and as they grow separate them out in different groups according to size.

Ive read that once the female has layed her eggs to separate them for at least three months i think to allow her time to recover as she will prioritize making eggs to keeping herself healthy so even thau she is making eggs her health may deteriorate if she is allowed to continue breeding like that

also if she is young she may be stunting her growth rate as she Will be more concerned about making the eggs than growing some one correct me if i am wrong going on memory here so if i were you separate them its unfair to let her have so many and have most die just my opinion thanks not trying to be mean just thaught id mention what i remember reading

hey everyone,thanks for all the advice...xxxxxxxxxx

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back