Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Amphibians of the Netherlands Antilles Islands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what species of amphibian are found on the Netherlands Antilles Islands in the Caribbean? I will be visiting a few in a few months and I would like to be in the know. I am aware there is at least one loud tree frog species (I've heard it over the phone), but I don't know the species name.

Any help is appreciated.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Global Amphibians say just 1 species actually. I'm not sure how Amphibia Web says 2, considering the info is coming from Global Amphibians for both sites.

ajc

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
I'll let you know after I've watched Life in Cold Blood in about ... ohhh ... an hour from now ;-)
(Presumably, you'll be too busy watching SuperBowlTuesday, or whatever it's called, to join me? :)

lims

Reaction score
nice

nice little frog, I'm going to Martinique in May to do some diving and stay free of charge at my GF's dads Bar,, I think I'll be a huntin for Eleutherodactylus johnstonei while I'm there, cant wait..

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll let you know after I've watched Life in Cold Blood in about ... ohhh ... an hour from now ;-)
(Presumably, you'll be too busy watching SuperBowlTuesday, or whatever it's called, to join me? :)
I'll be too busy running this site :p. My father is DVD'ing Life in Cold Blood for me (shhh don't tell anyone).

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
nice little frog, I'm going to Martinique in May to do some diving and stay free of charge at my GF's dads Bar,, I think I'll be a huntin for Eleutherodactylus johnstonei while I'm there, cant wait..

I hope you have fun. I'll be on St. Martin (Spelling?) and Saba. My wife is a diving freak.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll be too busy running this site :p. My father is DVD'ing Life in Cold Blood for me (shhh don't tell anyone).

I was fortunate enough to be invited to the transmission party in Bristol with the production team. I briefly chatted to David about frogs but I was too awestruck to mention newts (or your fathers DVD activities...). It was a wonderful occasion. I can't wait for the amphibian episode next week.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
... but I was too awestruck to mention newts ...
*Falls down writhing on the floor in an apparent fit brought on by an overload of incredulity*

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Alright I've recovered. Why on earth didn't you mention newts at all? Have you truly become a frog man???

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Please tell Sue that she should tell Sir David we need a sequel to the Immortal Salamander. If they're strapped for cash then there's always Mark Staniszewski's back garden.

Last edited:

robkeulers

Reaction score
something went wrong with the pics, here they are!

ps. http://www.mina.vomil.an/Pubs/Buurt-AmphiReps2.html (DUTCH) says that the bufo marinus also inhabits the islands.

The site also says that several species of Eleutherodactylus were imported into the islands, on purpose, or by accident, traveling with plants etc. Eleutherodactylus johnstonei is the only known species of that genera that stayed

Attachments

• DSC01746_edited [Caudata.nl].JPG
    DSC01746_edited [Caudata.nl].JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 771
  • DSC01750_edited [Caudata.nl].JPG
    DSC01750_edited [Caudata.nl].JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,667
Last edited:

lims

Reaction score
Field work in the summer of 1990 on Martinique, French Antilles, led to the discovery of a new species of Colostethus (Anura: Dendrobatidae). The new species is a small (snout-vent length <20 mm), brown frog which can easily be identified by its distinct ventral coloration. The venter is a uniform pale orange in life, with males having a dark throat and a black collar covering the entire hyoid region. Toe webbing is reduced to barely perceptible vestigial webbing between toes III and IV. The species has a crepuscular activity cycle and a distinctive, high-pitched call. Its habitat is restricted to the upper slopes of Montagne Pelee on the island of Martinique in the central Lesser Antilles. Its discovery is remarkable because it was not recognized previously on this otherwise herpetologically well-known island, and because it is the only known member of the frog family Dendrobatidae endemic to an oceanic island.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
So I went to Saba, I saw and I photographed. I'll post some tomorrow. It turns out there are at least 2 species of frog on that island, and I suspect from the calls I heard that there are actually 3. I have photos of at least one species, possibly two (they look very similar and I only think they are different because of the different calls I followed when tracking them down).

Here's an MP3 sound recording of at least 2 of the frogs, possibly 3? There's a species in the background (sort of a weh-weh-weh sound) and then there's whistling in the foreground (what I had the sound recorder pointed at). There may be another call there too, lower like a plink. Any thoughts? I'll post photos tomorrow. There's Johnston's Whistling Frog (the one you guys linked earlier in the thread ) and possibly a species of Coqui on the island too. The third call is a mystery to me. And to top it all, the two frogs I found with very different calls look nearly identical.

By the way I believe this it the first sound recording of amphibians posted on the forum ever?

Attachments

• STE-013-normed.mp3
    942.6 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to clarify that first recording, here are the whistles a little more on their own and also the "weh" frogs on their own:

Attachments

• STE-008-good-whistle.mp3
    551.5 KB · Views: 370
  • STE-015-weh-clip.mp3
    418.4 KB · Views: 349

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
So after a bit more research I believe the whistle is Johnston's Whistling Frog (the amphibiaweb call description matches in my opinion). The weh-ing frogs have to be a different species though since that call is undeniably completely different. The good news is I have great photos of both of these species.

lims

Reaction score
can't wait to see the photos, I remember hearing the Johnstones whistling frog when I was in Antigua as a teen, the sound made me remember bits from the holiday (best bit was when I had a gecko in my hair).
The mp3's are great aswell, you can get microphones that are good quality that just plug into an ipod and record straight to mp3, maybe you used one of those. I should be going to Martinique in May, will most certainly try to get as much herping from that as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!