skin peeling???????

weebrenda

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
got 2 axies around 7mths old,both used to be very active and eat whatever is offered to them,now one has gone off his food and getting skinny,he went brown in colour (usually pink),now he is peeling and back to his normal colour :confused:,temps ok and other test ok although ammonia a bit high,the other axie shows no signs of anything wrong,tank is 4ft long 18"high and 18" width,filter is internal and flows out at the top of the tank against the glass to mimimise disturbance,and sand at bottom,any help please:bowl:

Chances are if his skin is peeling it may be the ammonia. It's usual one axie to show signs and the others not to - usually it's the weaker one of the bunch (even though you may not think so).

If ammonia is high (ie ammonia/nitrites over 0) then just make sure to do frequent partial water changes (20% minimum). Test daily and if the ammonia is still high (over 0), continue doing the frequent partial waterchanges.

Check under any decos/caves etc and stir the sand a bit in case the ammonia levels designate there may be hidden waste in the tank. It's usually the case in our tanks if ammonia starts to rise.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back