Methylene Blue

Foxylady

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Foxy
My young axolotl a while back decided to go " Carpet surfing" when he jumped outa the tank he was in before i changed to his now larger tank with a lid so he can't go for a quick fly ;) But from this little adventure he developed overnight the worse fungus i have personally ever seen and this was completely covering is body and even his eyes. He was so lethargic , and his gills so curled over and his tail so bent that he almost seemed to be dead and would not respond when touched and just stayed in a stationary position on the tank floor. I looked up anti-fungal treatments and also remembered from keeping fish that methylene blue is effective as a really effective anti fungal solution so i added half the recommended dose for fish after regarding the instructions included in the packet to his tank and made sure that all heating was turned off in the room he was in so that the tank would get to the lowest temperature possible and then all i could do was wait and hope for the best. Well within a day he was a new man , most of the fungus had come away he was moving around more and after a week he was completely free of fungus and acting perfectly normal with a full appetite and has since grown much more rapidly and looks a lot more healthy and active than even before his little escapade.
Would recommend this treatment to any one with a severe fungus problem as it works quickly and does not stress the axolotl , the only side effect i observed from this both during and after is that your tank water turns a nice shade of blue !:p
Has any one else had such success with Methylene blue solution ?

Yes some members have used Meth blue - and also used it directly in the tank. Usually when using any medicines, even at half dosage, it's recommended that medication is done in a separate container. A few I've come across have directly dosed their tanks (full dosage rather than half) and spent the time doing 50% waterchanges to lower the dosage in the tank as well as clear the blue.

Good to hear your carpet slider has improved. Fridging also helps an axolotl if they're lethargic after a jump from the tank! It slows their metabolism down and can be used in conjunction with saltbathing methods.

It was one of those times where medicating him in the tank was more suitable and probably less stressful than removing him , now months later hes still doing good and only a few of his stones in his tank have held the blue dye ! :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back