Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Questions about Xenopus and Chytrid

WNeil

Reaction score
Recently I've been thinking about setting up an aquarium for a few X. laevis, but as I keep a number of other amphibians I've been holding off due to fears of bringing home a possible Chytrid carrier. I'm hoping the other members of this site might be able to help me out with a few questions that I've been unable to find answers to while browsing around the web. Thanks for any info in advance!

-Are all X. laevis likely to be carriers of Chytrid? I was thinking that wild caught animals would be the most likely to be suspect and that captive bred animals might be okay, but I haven't read anything to confirm this.

-Is there any way to tell if the animal is a carrier other than sending a swab test to a lab? (I assume not.)

-Does anyone happen to know if other Xenopus or Silurana species are known to be carriers of Chytrid? I've read that S. tropicalis, unlike X. laevis, will develop symptoms and die from the fungus when infected, but have no idea about how the other species react to it. I'd particularly like to know if X. borealis is as likely as X. laevis to be a carrier.

Jake

Reaction score
-Are all X. laevis likely to be carriers of Chytrid? I was thinking that wild caught animals would be the most likely to be suspect and that captive bred animals might be okay, but I haven't read anything to confirm this.

-

Xenopus leavis can carry chytrid, but that doesn't mean they all have it. If that were the case, then most of my animals would have died out by now because I have about 200 of these frogs in my collection right now. I have both captive bred, and a few wild-caught imported giants. I don't mix species, but with a fungus as dangerous as chytrid, even a drop of contaminated water in the wrong tank could cause the downfall of the whole collection. I've had several escapees fall into other containers/tanks with other species. I have even used the deformed frogletts as a treat for some other amphibians without any chytrid outbreaks. The frogs have to be exposed to the fungus before they carry it, they aren't simply born with chytrid.

Hope that helps. I'll look into your other questions, but I don't know if studies have been done to prove if X.leavis is more likely to carry chytrid than Silurana tropicalis.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1