Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Agh, sick axie...

meowyinn

Reaction score
I posted this in the wrong area by mistake, so here's to trying in the right one :(

I haven't had my Axolotl long, maybe about three weeks. Today, I was feeding him, and noticed he's not eating well. When I took a look at his water, there were feathery bits floating in it. I was a bit worried, so I gave him a look, and noticed that all the frills on his little tentacles are missing! (I know, gills, yes. But I like tentacles better.)

What's wrong with him? They've curled up and he's frill-less. I'm very worried. Can anyone offer me any help? Thanks if you can.

digger

Reaction score
have you cycled your tank,
if not have you been doing 20% water cahnges and spot cleaning.
a water issue which might have caused this.
if i were you i would check my water parameters

meowyinn

Reaction score
have you cycled your tank,
if not have you been doing 20% water cahnges and spot cleaning.
a water issue which might have caused this.
if i were you i would check my water parameters

That could be it.

I've been changing his water, but not as much as I probably should if you think that is the reason. I do spot clean; I always remove what he hasn't eaten as soon as he's done feeding, and I've been keeping waste and such out of the tank.

Thanks very much! I'll see if that is what is causing this. Another question then, will the frills grow back?

gr33neyes

Reaction score
yes they will grow back but only if you get your water conditions right.
I encountered a slight fungus problem about 2 months ago. Overnight my youngest axolotl developed fungus on one of her gill stalks. I managed to remove most of the fungus with tweezers (although not every one would recommend this but i have steady hands). Then carried out a 40% water change. Watched her almost constantly for a few days but it never reappeared. Managed to put it down to the fact that having recently introduced her into my main tank the bioload had increased and I now carry out a small water change every other day (bucket full). It took about a month for the gill to grow back totally.

meowyinn

Reaction score
yes they will grow back but only if you get your water conditions right.
I encountered a slight fungus problem about 2 months ago. Overnight my youngest axolotl developed fungus on one of her gill stalks. I managed to remove most of the fungus with tweezers (although not every one would recommend this but i have steady hands). Then carried out a 40% water change. Watched her almost constantly for a few days but it never reappeared. Managed to put it down to the fact that having recently introduced her into my main tank the bioload had increased and I now carry out a small water change every other day (bucket full). It took about a month for the gill to grow back totally.

Oh, thanks so much! I'm so new to this, none of the books I bought help much at all. I figured I'd get help from people that know. I don't know why people buy these things as gifts. I got him for a belated Christmas gift. I love him to pieces, but I'm so paranoid that something will go wrong!

So just keep the water balanced and he should be alright? I recently bought him a larger tank and have been using distilled water for him, as one of my books recommends, so hopefully I'm going things right.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Once you have the basics sorted( water/ diet/ tank set up etc ) it will become much less of a worry! and more of a pleasure..though I have to admit every now and then something will pop up and I'll end up posting questions again!!.
Now I have a feeling distilled water may not be good as I think it may be too soft, axolotl prefer harder water. The container may tell you what the ph is ....hopefully someone who knows more about this will be able to correct me or advise.

tyl3r

Reaction score
bellabelloo - I think you're correct about the distilled water. It'll keep him alive and is better than using untreated chlorinated tap water (for example). But ideally, meowyinn, you should use water that has disolved salts or some "hardness" so it. See this page for more details.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1