Morphing or De-Gilled?

Tal

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I got a luecistic axolotl today from a local pet store and am wondering if it is part way into morphing. It has pretty much no gills what to speak of but it was housed with goldfish so it may have had them bitten off. It has almost no fin along its tail and not much more than a line that shows where it was on its back. It is also really skinny almost like it was starved. I offered it some beef heart which is what the pet store said they fed them and it wouldn't eat. Unfortunately I am unable to get a picture today as it is settling into its new home. I'll try for one asap though. To me it doesn't look quite right feature wise for an axolotl but then I am a novice:rolleyes:

Is there any where I can see pictures of the stages they go through when morping to a terrestrial form? It might make it easier for me to work out what is going on.

I managed to get a couple of pictures. For some reason they seem to have come out blue :confused: I think its because of the aquarium light. Hopefully these will help.

Attachments

• DSC00189.JPG
    DSC00189.JPG
    371.5 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC00191.JPG
    DSC00191.JPG
    390 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC00192.jpg
    DSC00192.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 179
Axolotl looks like it's about to die. It's definitely on its way out. It's unlikely it'll survive unless you can get it to eat something. Some people here have experience with force-feeding but it might have other problems. I don't think I've ever seen one in that bad a condition. If I lived there I'd go to town on the people in that petshop.

I agree with John. I hope you did'nt spend too much on it. That poor guy looks like it's on his last leg.

Put it in the fridge it might help? Also might want to try some live food Maybe cut a worm into some small pices easier for him to eat. Mine also love frozen blood worms defrost them in some water first. Hope this helps some how. Let us know how it goes.

Good luck with him, but he certainly looks bad. I've seen another in that sort of shape in a petshop here before and nearly bought him to rescue him... If I'd had a spare tank I would have. Next time I went in he'd gone, and I'm sure he died. But while there's life there's hope and I guess ideally a nice cold tank, no gravel and some live food would be ideal.

its so sickening to see so called pet shops sell something in that state. The problem is you end up buying it before you feel sorry for it and the shop have made their money out of its misery, so they carry on getting in more poor little creatures doomed to misery in their shop. Its a vicious circle.

Don't give up

Try frequently offering small portions of live ( preferably..might stimulate it to eat) earth worm, bloodworm, raw slivers of raw lean meat, king prawn( rinsed off glaze) heart etc. Make sure the tank is kept as cool as possible ( below 20 degrees) and watch out for signs of fungus....cotton wool like growth. I wouldn't give up hope, but time and patience may help the little guy. Ask any questions however small and someone will help.

I also agree, the seller should be deeply ashamed and I personally would take the matter further!!

After reading the replies I got on the phone to the store I bought the poor creature from and had a "polite" word with the manager. He agreed to refund my money on it. Even going so far as to say I could keep the axolotl as a "goodwill" gesture.

I did as was suggested and put it in the fridge but when I checked on it this morning, it was no longer among the living. I was able to get a closer look and discovered that it had a fungal growth in its mouth. I should have seen that earlier as you could just make out the fungus hanging out of its mouth when it was closed. I guess that explains the refusal of food :( I guess it was just too little too late.

Sorry for your loss. Knowing the state of the animal, I firmly believe that the fungus in its mouth was not a cause, it was a symptom. I've never seen one look that badly - they always die earlier. I am 100% sure you could not have saved it.

But on the bright side, you are now in contact with Caudata.org people from Aus and you should be able to get axolotls people who care about their animals like you do.

Sorry to hear about your axie Tal. :( From the pictures he was in a very poor state, I hate seeing what condition some pet stores leave their axies in. :mad:

Unfortunately in a lot of instances you can't really blame the pet stores. The majority that sell animals in poor conditions, do it through ignorance. Its very rare to find someone in a pet store that is well informed about all the animals that they sell.

At least now I am in a posistion to learn what I need to be able to keep a happy and healthy axolotl :eek:

I still think it is a pet store's responsibility to know how to care for their animals correctly. Ignorance is no excuse for treating animals badly.

i agree with you sarah, if you want to make money out of a living creature at least do your research and treat it properly, there is no excuse for selling sick animals. The only reason they keep selling them is because people keep buying them. Everytime someone buys a sick animal from a shop the shop keeper is rewarded for their ignorance. At least if you leave it there, hopefully they won't make money from it and they have the job of disposing of it when it dies. Sad but true.

True ignorance is no excuse. However I'd like to believe that the animals end up in a poor condition through ignorance more than through neglect. At least that way I can talk to the person again if needed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back