woohoo

DantezGirl

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand-Maori
Display Name
DantezGirl
as we speak midnight is laying eggs and i got to see one being layed yeya her and spot are still in the main tank together with the cover on to give her some privacy i plan to keep ten this is my first time and hers as well with me not sure if she had eggs with previous owner

the nursery tank is ready with air stone and filter i am going to put the plants and any rocks in there until the eggs hatch then remove most but keep a few for cover ect i have to go and get some daphnia outside in a few day ready for the hatch-lings

as i don't want to disturb her to much cant look and see what i have yet i know how to tell the wild type eggs based on pics from here any one know when or how i can tell if i have albino or leusistic larvae mum wild dad leusistic so i doubt albino but you never know

as i don't want to disturb her to much cant look and see what i have yet i know how to tell the wild type eggs based on pics from here any one know when or how i can tell if i have albino or leusistic larvae mum wild dad leusistic so i doubt albino but you never know

Eggs laid by wild-type, melanoid, and leucistic females all look identical when they're first laid. If the female is an albino, then the eggs are white. The color of the egg has nothing to do with the color of the larvae. You'll probably get about 50-100% wild-type offspring. Wild-type is a dominant gene, if the mother is carrying the gene for leucistic then whatever offspring aren't wild-type could be leucistic. If both the mother and father are albino recessive, then they could produce albino offspring. The best way to tell is to just wait until about a week after they hatch and you should have a pretty good idea as to what color morphs you have in this batch. If you still have troubles at that point, then post close up pictures of the larvae and someone on here should be able to tell you what they are.

Good luck raising them!

any one know how long on average it takes for a female to finish laying her eggs? just curious had a little peak she still going thanks

mamakucook@hotmail.com to the person helping me with more daphnia

Last edited:
aww from what i can see they all wild type no white ones but like axie jake said wont know till they hatch she is still going is this natural?

Yes it is natural - it can sometimes take 24hours to lay them all; or over a couple of days in spats and spasms.

As for the eggs - you won't know if you have albinoes for a few days - whereas leucistic (white with dark eyes) and wildtype eggs/larvae are very similar looking at this stage even with hatching. If they are either leucistic or wildtype larvae it will take several weeks after hatching before you can work out what some of them are (some will be quite noticeable from about two weeks whether they are definite dark wildtypes; others will take a lot longer before their type is known).

OK thats good feel like telling her to stop there is quite a few eggs in there spots following her around like an anxious dad in the maternity ward lol maybe cos she moving so much i think she's swimming alot better now she was so gravid yesterday she couldn't make it to the top of the plants

i didn't manage to get any containers so i can give the rest of the eggs away will have a look today is it hard to get them of the plants?

spots going into the quarantine tank today soon as I'm ready for three months to give midnight time to heal and recuperate she gets the love shack all to herself

If any one in NZ has any daphnia for sale or trade message me the more the better i have a little bit left from the newts but not much and hopefully a few from trade me guy but yeah the more the better i have white worms and brine shrimp if needed also for there food source

I'm putting the eggs into one of the big plastic storage containers from the warehouse with two air stones will that be OK?

You can use 2 litre icecream containers to put them in - just change the water daily.

The eggs are easy to get of the plants. Just pull your fingers/nails down through the yolky/clear bit.

You may have to rely on the brineshrimp hatching for your larvae. If you're only raising 10 then you won't have a problem with food using brineshrimp. You'll have plenty. One of those small 6g jars of brineshrimp lasted a few months. Newly hatched larvae do not take to microworms as readily as older larvae. Daphnia seems to be a bit scarce at the moment and the ones that do have it won't post - will only sell it locally within each region.

Congratulations!

its been a struggle to find daphnia ive been looking for a while now but due to the heat wave very scarce but im ok for now and bio supplyers said they hope to have some in a couple of weeks so heres hopeing till then its brine shrimp

thanks very nervous but luckily i fluked it and had just about everything ready thanks to advice and this website so keep doing what your doing john and staff the site and the people helping in and around it are a big help to many newbies like myself every year

and while I'm on it a big thanks to all the helpful people Ive meet on my few months as a new axie owner couldn't do it with out you woohoo lol

Thank you for the kind words on behalf of the mods, Jen and myself. However I must thank you. I owe everyone here thanks. The reason is that you all make this place the great resource it is. You also enrich our hobby by captive breeding your animals and you've probably taught a few people some things they never knew because of your experience with axolotls. Keep passing it on, share what you learn and help other interested people in their hobby.

i took all the plants out and put them in the container with air stones and i put spot in the quarantine tank the eggs were quite confuseing they were like the normal eggs in the pictures on the axolotl site

i cleaned the tank as best i could but didnt want to over do the cleaning so did normal water change will take me a few days to get the tank back to normal have put my ten in there own special container

If any one in newzealand wants some free axolotl eggs there avaliable for pick up or you pay postage
cant wait to see what i'll get hey does any one have a picture of a golden axolotl egg?

Posting

any one no a good safe way to courier axie eggs? i want themto arrive safe nad well to new owner the eggs were half black half white is this natural?

Last edited:
any one no a good safe way to courier axie eggs? i want themto arrive safe nad well to new owner

I send them in bottles and they normally do fine. Just put the eggs in with bit of water and send them using a method that won't take more than a few days. You can also put the eggs on damp paper towels (with no ink print on them) in a CD case if you have any extras.

Yes, the eggs will be half colored/half white. This is the 'animal' pole separating. The dark part is what will develop into the baby.

okay so they will be wildtype so if one half is gold it would be golden or white albino or leusistic?

It could even be wildtype! We got excited when we first raised them hoping we might be lucky enough to have some goldens - alas but it wasn't to be, some were leucistics (they retain a pale yellowy tinge for several weeks) and the others became wildtypes which darkened as they reached their third/4th months!

As for posting - we've posted eggs in those small softdrink bottles (150ml); OJ containers (250-500ml) or plastic honey or vegemite containers (wash out with baking soda and water rather than detergent). Fill with dechlorinated water and about 30-50 eggs. Then put them in the fridge overnight before posting. We then wrapped them with card or in a small cardboard box padded with newspaper or bubblewrap. Costs about $3.50 standard weight up to 1.5kg weight; $4.30 fastpost rate or parcelpost rate to 2kg $4.75 (dependant on weight). One person we did courier to Auckland (ex Wgtn) and cost about $15. The NZ post system was just as quick as courier. Courier will only guarantee overnight delivery to main centres (thereafter it may take another day to get to other destinations - they do not deliver to Rural delivery/country areas (so if anyone is living rural it's a waste of time and money sending by courier or fastpost.)

Brown (or black) eggs can develop into leucistics, melanoids, or wildtypes. Albino eggs will stay white. For all the color morphs, you'll be unable to tell what colors they are until they start growing.

lol thanks for all the info ive deceided not to get my hopes up and that there all wild types untill further notice

i am so tempted to kepp them all in case i give the wrong ones away lol but no ive decided im going to keep one

does any one know when it will be safe to put him or her if i manage to keep him or her alive in with parents

My albino golden female and wild type male laid white eggs. As they developed some developed a grey speckling, some had dark eyes and some had albino eyes. The young that hatched where mainly wildtype, melanoid and golden albino..I may have had maybe a couple of the leucistic, but they where certainly the minority . The fastest growers where in the same order too.

I have kept 3 of my brood hoping at least one will be male..its not looking too good at the moment!!. These are now approx 7 months old and are reaching six inches so no chance yet of introducing them to Dad...I am looking at them being approx a year old

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back