Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Swollen gill

pete

Reaction score
I noticed a red tubular structure hiding behind my axolotl's right gill today. I suspect this is a relatively recent development (past ~2 weeks), but given it's location, I could have missed it in the past. I recalled seeing similar structures posted here. I found at least two threads from people who had similar problems. But, both seem relatively inconclusive as to what is going on here and how it correlates to health of the animal.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50238
http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42999

I tried to take some photos of the structure, but due to its location, capturing it is a challenge. I don't know the age of the animal, but he's a minimum of 5 yrs old, in case it's an aging thing. He's been alone for almost a year now, so it's not likely from a physical attack. Water quality/temperature is great.

In general, this outgrowth doesn't seem to be affecting him mood-/activity-/appetite-wise. I haven't heard any follow ups on the above axie cases. So I was just curious if any knows exactly what this structure is, if they can be avoided, and if it is a bad sign for the future of my axolotl?

Attachments

• axigrowth1.jpg
    axigrowth1.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 407
  • axigrowth2.JPG
    axigrowth2.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 335
  • axigrowth3.jpg
    axigrowth3.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:

digger

Reaction score
i have an axie with 2 of those on one gill, it never seems to have bothered him and i have had him for over a year.

pete

Reaction score
I guess I just look at it as analogous to a skin tag or mole.

gr33neyes

Reaction score
Sometimes things can overheal, possibly the gill fronds were damaged at some point and they grew back too well, like you say pete we get those little skin tags, i guess its similar.

Amiracle

Reaction score
My wildtype axie has growths like that protruding from her gills when her tank mate takes a nip. I have always considered it to be a weird regeneration thing when the ills are damaged, although my albino doesn't heal in that way.

JPDeed

Reaction score
Agreed, as they have such fast regenerative properties, and gill filaments are such delicate complex organs, misgrowth is quite common. Likewise, axolotls who have lost a toe will occasionally grow 2 to replace the single original one. Naturally, keep a close eye on it, but I think in a well managed environment it will pose very little problem.

Eon Chao

Reaction score
One of mine has a similair growth. At least it doesn't appear to be something to worry about. Any idea if they go away eventually or if they just stay there until a tank mate goes for its gills again and gets that bit?

pete

Reaction score
Just checked and mine still has his. I'm not entirely convinced it's a regeneration issue. Mine doesn't have anything to nibble on his gills and the protrusion originates from a very recessed location, so I'd be surprised if he got it from wear'n tear damage there, (though it's possible). Whatever caused it, it seems to be harmless. I'm half-tempted to cut it off and compare it to a normal gill piece under the microscope, but I suspect it could bleed a lot, so I won't tamper with it. Not worth stressing the poor guy out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1