lethargic hong kong warty newt

bugabob

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,
I have a Hong Kong warty newt that I have owned for about five months. For the first four, he was a voracious feeder, and on a couple of occasions I was even able to feed him raw meat out of my hand. About a month ago he developed an infection on his eye (I was keeping the tank too warm out of ignorance, which may have contributed) and since then, even though he appears to have fully recovered and is about as active now as before, he has been feeding only once every two weeks or so and not eating as much or with his old gusto when he does feed. I'm hoping it's just a reaction to the cold weather, although the water never drops below 60F. Am I being over-protective or should I be concerned?

If he's still eating regularly then I would think he's ok. Just watch for any deterioration and keep feeding him.

maybe don't feed him raw meat, just various types of worms

I think this may simply be a normal adjustment to captivity. When you received the newt, it was probably underfed, as they are not fed properly during harvest/wholesale/retail. On top of that, it was kept too warm, which also increases appetite. Now, the newt is at the correct temperature and has recovered from previous underfeeding.

I feed my hongkongensis 1-2 times per week, an amount of about half of a large earthworm. At this time of year, it doesn't always eat. It's temp is currently 56-60F, and is around 72 in summer.

Thanks a lot for the input.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back