Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help my newt morph wont eat!!!

grubbie

Reaction score
i have just got bak from a holiday and when i got back my larvae had morphed and was on land and hadnt been fed for 2 days. now when i try to feed him out of the water he doesnt eat and he is looking skinny and unhealthy. can anyone help!!!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What species? This is very important. Some species become terrestrial after morph, and you will need to find terrestrial food (fruit flies, tiny crickets, etc.) or hand-feed with a toothpick/tweezers.

grubbie

Reaction score
it is a japanese fire bellied newt. it has been out of water for about 3 days now and is really skinny before when he was in the water i fed him white worms and blood worms with tweezers and he ate them but now i try in and out of water and he ignores it!!! help now please i think he'l be dead by morning if he doesnt eat soon!!!

grubbie

Reaction score
oh and he is only about 2 1/2 months old is that to early to morph???

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
2.5 months is a bit early. It is common for morphs to not eat for the first few days/weeks after morphing. However, being skinny is not a good way to start; the larger they are at the time they morph, the more likely they'll eat well and survive as juveniles. Keep trying to feed it frozen bloodworms from a toothpick every day. You might be surprised how long they can survive, even skinny.

Also, think about setting up a small soil-based terrarium for it (them?). And try to find a supply of flightless fruit flies, springtails, or other small live food.

andrew

Reaction score
I agree with Jen, theres every chance it wont eat for a week or two yet. New morphs physically can't eat. The final changes to occur after morphing from a larvae to a newt go on internally.
I keep new morphs in a shaded area at about 66F and in well ventilated set ups containing two thirds soil and one third damp kitchen paper towels (changed every couple of days). On the soil i put cork bark hides. The best way you'll get them to eat is to leave plenty of suitable food in there for them and leave them to it. Eventually they'll eat when ready.

grubbie

Reaction score
ok thank you so how small is a suitable terrarium for 1 morph and he doesnt need water???

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1