Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

2 axies in a 60L tank

max8454

Reaction score
Hi all, back in dec we got a 60L tank (about 13 imp gallons or about 16us gallons), we got 2 good sized axies but one died in a week, we had bad problems with amonia for weeks but thats settled down, the 2nd one did not eat for 4-5 weeks,,, anyway thats all sorted about a month ago and it eats worms now.

we are thinking of getting a 2nd one, but would like some feedback regarding the size of the tank.

when we got it we were told it would be ok,, but really it was about the minimum size for 2.

also just out of interest,, he/she spends a lot of time in one corner checking himself out,, is he looking at his own reflection thinking its another axolotl?,,,, speaking generally do they prefer a companion?

ok thanks look forward to the replies
Max

Saspotato

Reaction score
I think 60L is probably too small for 2 (adult) axolotls. You might get by but it is better to have extra room to reduce the likelihood of water quality issues. I have one 20cm axolotl in a 60L tank and wouldn't want any more in there for sure. Floor space is more important than height and axolotl.org recommends 18inches of floor space per adult.

Don't think your axolotl checking out his reflection is a problem :). Adults tend to move around less than younger axies so don't worry if he spends a lot of time in one spot. My axolotl hides in a cup for most of the day and only comes out at night, for example (or when I feed him ) :) They don't need companionship. Sometimes if you put a few together they can fight, especially if they are different sizes.

max8454

Reaction score
ok thanks for that saspotato, one more question

Ok thankyou for that, we were a bit uncertain, speaking of eating, it took ages before he ate anything ,,,weeks, eventually i got him eating live worms,, but only small ones as he has trouble eating.

he will suck it in his mouth shake his head around, convulse, then it will come out again most times, it usually takes him a few goes (meaning he spits it out, has a rest or goes for a swim,, then rather coyly happens get himself in postion for another attempt) for the worm to be properly ingested

,,, anyway it was put to me that they suck the juices out and spit out the fiberous bits. (noting eventually he usually swallows it).

how often do you feed it,, do you keep its water at less than 20c, and finally would the fluro light in his tank cause him a problem?
Max

Saspotato

Reaction score
I don't use worms as food so not sure about how they tend to eat them sorry. So dunno whether how your axie eats it is normal but someone else should be able to tell you.

I feed my axolotl 2-3 times a week with 1 1cm cube of bloodworm or brine shrimp, or 3-4 salmon pellets when he is in his tank and once a week when he is in the fridge with a third of his normal feed. I also use guppies as feeder fish and don't hand feed him when I have guppies as he can get his own food then :p.

My temperature is usually 19-21C, anything more than that I use ice bottles to cool the tank or if that is hard to do he gets put in the fridge for a few days. :) Do you have temperature problems? If so I wouldn't recommend using a light - though fluro lights put out a lot less heat so it may not affect your tank temperature. Again, I don't use lights so not sure about all the issues with them. Axolotls prefer the dark anyway, so lighting is an optional thing.

Lisa

Reaction score
Hi, I have one axolotl in a 45 cm long tank and have been keeping his light (fluoro) off over summer to hopefully keep temperature down, but not sure how much it really heats the water anyway. Axolotls like the dark. Mine eats earthworms most enthusiastically, is about 20cm long and can eat a worm 3-4 cm long in one gulp. I think if they spit them out you're supposed to cut them up (yuk), and I had to do that the first time I fed them when he was a cm or so smaller. Mine is in the fridge at the moment due to temperature problems, I try to keep him around 20c, but that is hard in Perth presently so he's been in the fridge for 2 and a half weeks. Have used ice water bottles and a three-sided polystyrene foam "shell" to wrap around his tank otherwise over summer to avoid tank getting over 22 degrees.

oceanblue

Reaction score
I've two 20cm axolotls in about 35L in a 50L tank. They are fine and spend most of their time lurking in one corner. Behaviorally axolotls don't need much space. They do fine individually. The problem with small tanks is water chemistry, which can deteriorate at great speed especially if the temperature is high. I've a cool cellar with water temperature currently 13 Celsius despite 2 fluorescent lights which support dense tangled watercress growth! Australian advice that one axolotl is enough sounds wise, you can put two in but it is pushing the limits at warmer temperatures. If you do decide to get another you need to quarantine it and will need to watch your water chemistry very carefully. In one of my tanks a single fluorescent light with the ends of the hood open only raises the temperature by 1 degree Celsius. I keep the control unit away from the tank as this is also a significant heat source. If you don't have plants there is no reason why you need light for the axolotl. It is however nice to be able to see your pet!

gr33neyes

Reaction score
I have 2 axolotls in a 125 litre tank. I find it much easier to keep clean. Go for the biggest your wallet and house size will allow. Plus you dont know how big your axolotls size will be once adult.
As far as companionship goes, i keep 2 together. My husband kept thinking the first was lonely so we now have 2, just be prepared to find the odd chunk of tail or body part missing, they spy anything that moves and try to eat it, including each other!

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Max - what dimension is your tank? As Sarah already pointed out, the floor space is more important than the volume / height.

In my opinion 60 Litres is the lower end for only one adult Axolotl (depending on the space floor - the 60 litre tanks I know are 60x30 cm floor). Just consider that it might get as big as 25+ cm and still might like to move around a little bit!
You should fill the tank as high as possible (meaning without a lid 7-10 cm below top edge so they can't jump out), so you will have a bigger and more stable water body. The ammoina problem you pointed out is a sign to me that the tank was not cylced (and maybe overcrowded). Do you check your water parameters and do you have a filter running?

To my experience worms are completely swallowed but some Axolotls spit them back out.

ivan09193

Reaction score
Another factor is the form factor of the tank in use. For example, in the U.S. we have two different kinds of rectangular 20 gallon tanks, the high and the long. The long tank is shorter in height, but has more surface area on the bottom, while the high tank has more height than bottom surface area. For organisms like axolotls, its better to get a 20 gallon long over a 20 gallon high if you had the choice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1