Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help?

joneum42

Reaction score
My axolotl Axel has recently recieved a rip in his tail. It almost looks like someone got a pair of scissors and cut a triangle peice out of his tail. It doesn't seem to bother him, and the space is growing back, and he still seems happy. But what worries me more is the his companion Sol, a golden type axolotl, has even more recently gotten a rip in his tail, not nearly as triangular and I suspect it will grow back in time to. Do you think that maybe Axel and Sol have been fighting? Are axolotls known to bite eachother? Especially to the extent of ripping the tail? I don't think anything in there tank couldve caused it, it has some plants in it, a sand substrate and 2 homes for each of them. I'm not sure what to think about his whole situation.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
All my axolotl from time to time pick up occasional tears on their tails, one especially would grow the tip of her tail so it appeared paper thin and this would regularly disappear. All will grow back. My last tail mishap was with the filter intake but was pretty minor. My juveniles at present have assorted shapes on their tails as they get nipped while they feed..some of these will be re-homed shortly. Have a look around the tank and check that there isn't anything that looks sharp or able to trap a tail. I suspect however that they have just taken a nip at each other...quite normal for an axolotl.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Jordan, in the pursuit of food axies will have a go at anything, its not unusual for them to have bites out of their tales I have 2 that do and 2 that dont.

Keep an eye on them if it becomes a regular thing you may need to put a tank divider in or get a bigger tank.

Good Luck

tashie7161

Reaction score
hey, when my axel first got a rip in her tail from krystal i got a little worried, so i pour some water into another tank (dechlorinated) and put her in it, and did 100% water changes for a few days just to make sure there was no infections etc but she healed very quickly and is fine :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1