Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Air Bubble ?

madeve

Reaction score
Yesterday I found my biggest larva (about 1 inch and a half with little back legs) floating slightly tilted on his side. So I put him in a smaller container (he was in a sandwich size one and I moved him into a 3 inches square one) and I lowered the water a little so he wouldn't float, that's when I noticed the air bubble in his tummy.
I don't exactly understand why he passed away but tonight I found him all curled up with his eyes bulging out a little and it looked like he had popped open.
I did daily water change (pH: 7.6, Amonia: 0ppms) and he ate the same as usual (bbs in the morning, 2 small bloodworms in the evening).
I just wanted to know if this is common in larvae.

Jake

Reaction score
Well, I can tell you that a lot of times when larvae don't eat they get bubbles in their stomaches, but you said this one did, so that's a bit confusing.

Did you see it eat or did you just feed it like normal? Perhaps it didn't eat when it was fed?

Out of curiosity, do you separate the egg shells from the shrimp?

I've read many sources stating that if the larvae eat too many of the empty shells they die, but I haven't personally witnessed this yet.

madeve

Reaction score
I know for sure he ate the bloodworms as I feed them with tweezers.
As far as the brineshrimp I have a hatchery that looks like a box with a hole on top where you stick this clear tube. It is my understanding that the shrimp hatch in the box and then swim up into the tube so there shouldn't be any shells. I usually use a medicine dropper to suck up the bbs from the tube (I shine a light to attract them then suck them up) and put them in a small strainer lined with a paper towel to rinse them and then feed them to the axies.
I do find some shrimp goes uneaten and I might have mistaken a regurgitated worm for poo so maybe he didn't eat like I thought he did. I'm still new at this.
The second axie that died only ate shrimp as for some reason he refused the bloodworms.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1