Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

spanish ribbed newts

RICH123

Reaction score
can SRN's be fed raw meats of any kind, just like the convenience of feeding raw meat to my axies. cheers
rich

paris

Reaction score
you can feed them what ever they will eat but i would stay away from processed meats or too much shrimp. you could even feed them cat meat, but for ease for me i give mine the soft moist salmon pellets, its a lot easier than prepping raw meat.

Jake

Reaction score
can SRN's be fed raw meats of any kind, just like the convenience of feeding raw meat to my axies. cheers
rich

How is feeding an axolotl raw meat 'convenient' in any way? Reaching into a bag and grabbing a handful of pellets is both cleaner and cheaper than preparing meat. I agree with what Paris said.

Plus, in the wild, neither species eats raw meat, just smaller organisms than themselves. If axolotls could hunt cows in the wild then we'd all be in great danger keeping them as pets;)

RICH123

Reaction score
HA axolotls hunting cows thats a funny immage
um i dont know it is just easier than live food i find which is what i usually feed them, ye i need to get hold of those pellets but dont know where ive seen pellets in fishing shops but there used as bait is tha the same thing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1